Chinese-Forums

International School (Montessori) in Yinchuan City

Ahmadfad

• New Members

Hello, 

i am planning to move to Yinchuan City (Ningxia) on a job with my family. I was wondering if there are any good international schools (montessori) for kids in the city. How much are the fees normally for montessori in this region?

Regards,

Ahmad

According to Google, there actually is one:

Ningxia Montessori International School
Address: No 87, Tanglai community, Yinchuan, Ningxia
Tel: 0951-5026938

(found here by googling 'international school ningxia'). I'm afraid I haven't been able to turn up more than this with a quick search, but perhaps you can try for yourself. I'm actually quite surprised there is an international school there, and even a Montessori school. Ningxia is not actually the most developed province in China and I wouldn't have expected there to be enough expats to maintain a school, let alone more than one.

"International" in a school's name can often just be a marketing strategy - doesn't mean the staff or kids are international. The first school I worked at in China in 1998 was an 'international school', but the only international aspect of it was me, three other foreign teachers, and two scared-looking French-Chinese kids.

Montessori is doing quite nicely in China, I think - strong appetite for non-traditional-Chinese approaches. 

I used to live in Yinchuan and remember that school. It is International in name only I believe or that just implies the "international nature" of Montessori education. I am fairly sure it's all taught in Chinese (apart from English class) and I very much doubt there are any foreign students.

Perhaps the odd Russian. There was a young Russian girl at my English school and she must have attended a school somewhere.

Some teachers had kids at my school and they home schooled them mostly. They were young though - maybe kindergarten age. Think they managed to find some mixed race play mates.l who spoke English and Chinese.

I guess the lessons may be in English but I really can't see it.

YINCHUAN is a fantastic city though. I love it there. It's small but is developing fast.

• Like 2

Be careful here. As well as the 'international' nature of the school being spurious, through work we have encountered a significant amount of 'Montessori' schools that are nothing of the sort.

Whilst there are legitimate Montessori schools

here, some of those that have conntacted us have either:

-Liked the idea of Montessori and so renamed the school

- Have one Montessori teacher, or a teacher who once worked for a Montessori institution

- There was one where the owner of the school read a book about Montessori methods and decided she liked them and so changed the school name.

I believe you can check for officially accredited Montessori institutions and I suggest you do.

• Like 1

Also a lot of accredited Montessori teachers that we work with have encountered schools that are Montessori only in name - we encounter that now and then.

• New Members

Thanks all for the valuable feedback. How can I check the accredited motessori schools in China ? Is there any accreditation agency which verifies and maintains a list of accredited institute in China ?

So the short answer is, there aren't any international schools in Yinchuan - at least not in the way you want.

If you want to send them to a Chinese school, you may also be limited in choice by schools willing to accept your children. I assume they have little to no Chinese language skills.

You might want to look into an 'online school'. I knew of a guy in Yinchuan whose child attended an online school. He hired a foreign teacher in the area to tutor him, help with homework etc as well every week.