Chinese-Forums

Good Career Options in China or Taiwan?

nikaanese

• New Members

I am currently working on a undergraduate degree in the United States...

One of my life goals is to live in China or Taiwan to become fluent in Chinese. 

I am either doing a degree in International Relations with a Chinese minor or Linguistics with Chinese and ESL teaching minor.  

I will be entering my junior year in college and I am quite conflicted on which path to take...  

Reality is starting to hit me, I am quite concerned that if I move to China or Taiwan that I won't be able to support myself.  

On the other hand, I am used to having a minimalistic lifestyle..  I am quite frugal and only buy what I need to get by....  

I would like to hear your thoughts as I move closer to graduating... I am starting to become more stressed out because I am not sure if it is a realistic option...

If you want to study in either China or Taiwan, you have scholarship options (most of them are quite generous!) that will eliminate your concerns on how to support yourself over there.

However, I suppose you have to clarify some questions about yourself and your goals:

Why do you want to live in China?

Have you ever been to the country before? If you haven't, are you prepared to accept that the China in your head is nothing like the real China?

How do you think an IR degree will help you achieving your goals?

As ZhangKaiRong says, look into scholarship options and other study abroad-options. That is a great way to go to China and/or Taiwan: you can concentrate on learning the language without worrying about how to support yourself, while getting an idea of the country and what possibilities may lie there for you.