Chinese-Forums

X Warrior looking for foreign contestants!

X Warrior Brian

(Note to mods: Hopefully this isn't considered an "ad" by forum standards. I think it's an event that many people would be very interested in and it's completely free for everyone, which is why I posted it in the General forums. I apologize if I'm breaking any forum rules by posting this.)

Hi everyone, my name's Brian, I'm the course trainer for Jiangsu Broadcasting Company's new show, X Warrior. It's an obstacle course show almost exactly like American Ninja Warrior. Episodes have been airing for almost 3 months now, and the next group of episodes will be filmed in Guanzhou and then Wuhan. We are hoping to get some local expat competitors to take part, so if you live in one of those two cities and are interested please contact me on WeChat (WeChat ID: xwarriorbrian). Everything is completely free, and you have a chance to win prize money.

Details below:

Compensation: There is no payment just for being on the show, but we will provide meals for you during practice and filming. If you complete the fourth obstacle you get 1000RMB, 2000 for the fifth, and 5000 for successfully completing all six (not cumulative).

Schedule: Guangzhou filming will be August 17-18, with time to practice on the course Aug. 15-16. Wuhan filming will be August 31 and September 1, practice on Aug. 29-30. Practice is optional and will be a few hours during the morning or afternoon. Filming starts at night once it's dark enough, around 9pm. We usually finish filming between 12-2am. If transportation to/from the course location is inconvenient, we will pay for a taxi or bus.

The Course: Here's a link to one of the earlier episodes that has already aired so you can get an idea what the course is like: http://www.iqiyi.com/v_19rrof3hu0.html?vfm=2008_aldbd . That first course turned out to be too difficult, so we have changed many of the obstacles and they are easier now. Generally speaking, if you are reasonably fit and not afraid of heights, you have a pretty good chance to get past the fourth obstacle. If you have exceptional pullup and grip strength, you should be able to make it past the fifth. I will be there to help you with the obstacles during practice.

We are looking for contestants with exceptional athletic ability or interesting stories. We only have a few spots per episode for foreign contestants so if you are interested contact me ASAP. Thanks!

Most places you would have to pay a fair amount of money to try out an obstacle course like this even once. Here you get an all expenses paid multiple day training camp. And if you've got the skills you can walk home with 5000 RMB. American Ninja Warrior pays for nothing, and you don't get anything at all unless you complete Stage 4 (which no one has ever done in 8 years).

This isn't "point and laugh at the funny laowai", nor is it an "acting job". It's a serious athletic competition. Some expats here are way too entitled.

• Like 4

No payment? LOL. Cheapskates. Acting jobs pay 2000/day AT A MINIMUM. I hope they're paying you, at least.
While often I would be the first to agree with you, I wonder if it's reasonable to expect payment for taking part in a game show. Transportation costs, lunch, things like that: absolutely. But payment, don't know if that's reasonable. It's usually something you do for fun, not a profession, unlike acting or stuntman-ing.
  • Like 1

not pay the actors. 

I think you miss the point: they're not actors but competitors.  You take part in the competition, you do well you win some money, you don't do well you get a fun experience expenses paid for a few days.

I can't imagine someone getting the first question wrong on "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and then, as they walk off, turning to the host and being "Soooo... where do I pick up my actors fees?"

• Like 2

I think you miss the point: they're not actors but competitors.  You take part in the competition, you do well you win some money, you don't do well you get a fun experience expenses paid for a few days.

I can't imagine someone getting the first question wrong on "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and then, as they walk off, turning to the host and being "Soooo... where do I pick up my actors fees?"

This does happen in China though. I was a "competitor" in a competition on TV, won and the host announced how I had won 6000RMB or so. In the end I got a small actors fee and did not get the winners prize. 

This does happen in China though. I was a "competitor" in a competition on TV, won and the host announced how I had won 6000RMB or so. In the end I got a small actors fee and did not get the winners prize. 

Really? Looks like a scam. 

I once tried Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Didn't get anything. One contestant liked to talk a lot, then they only ran The Fastest Finger once, I almost got in- only the person who did was faster than me. Needless to say, I went back home with nothing. 

Vellocet has a point. However, after the others pointed it out, this is a game show and, unless it is a scam, you should not be paid for acting. 

@OP What do you offer when it comes to transportation, accommodation, food, training? Contestants don't have to worry about anything right? 

@OP What do you offer when it comes to transportation, accommodation, food, training? Contestants don't have to worry about anything right?

From the first post...

we will provide meals for you during practice and filming

If transportation to/from the course location is inconvenient, we will pay for a taxi or bus.

I know, but will they provide more than 方便面 for dinner? They should give us all the details. You don't want to be spending your own money. 

@Angelina Dinner will be a 盒饭, nothing special, rice and sides. There will be 乐虎、小面包、and 饼干 available on set while you're waiting at night. I always tell contestants to bring some snacks on their own though, cause if you're one of the later contestants you'll be waiting a while.

I am well aware what the current market is like for foreigners in China. This isn't that kind of show. There are no actors. Only athletes.

• Like 1

@edelweis Good question, I should have put that in my original post. All contestants are required to sign an insurance contract before going on the course. I don't remember the exact details of the contract, but I believe the maximum payout for medical expenses is 200,000 RMB, and the maximum reimbursement in case of disability or death is 500,000 RMB. 

We've tried to make the course as safe as possible. So far over a thousand contestants have tried out the course without any serious accidents. But should something happen you will have insurance.

• Like 2

Thanks Brian, that's good to know.

Edit: on 2nd thought, when you say "All contestants are required to sign an insurance contract before going on the course", does that mean the contestants have to pay an insurance fee?

Nice.

Well, I've never watched American Ninja Warrior, but this X-Warrior show is certainly more interesting to watch than Total Wipeout. Exceptional pullup and grip strength looks good in a tight wifebeater - or shirtless.

If anyone from the forum takes part, do let us know :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, we are going to start filming the Guangzhou episodes tonight! The location for our next stop has changed to Chengdu, so if you live there and are interested in being on the show let me know.

Here's the schedule information for Chengdu:

Filming: August 31-September 1
Practice: August 29-30

Add me on WeChat if you're interested in competing! (WeChat ID: xwarriorbrian)