Chinese-Forums

AMA about Hainan

Mouseneb

Hey Nicki! Thank you so much for your help

So, my wife-to-be and I have been thinking of going to China on the Chinese Government Scholarship, and Hainan seems like a great place for our first year learning mandarin. Our options are either Hainan Normal or Hainan Uni. Which one would you pick? Also, what are the things we should be most aware of going into Hainan?

Again, thank you for your time!

ps. Both of us can get home sick from time to time.. How's internet access and VPNs in Hainan, if we want to Skype back home?

Hi Domingo! Haikou is a great choice to study! More international students seem to choose Hainan university, and the location is more convenient than Hainan normal. Plus then we will be neighbors :)

Internet access is a little slow but generally ok. With astrill vpn I'm able to get on facebook etc. without much trouble.

Good luck and welcome to Haikou!

• New Members

Hello, Domingo. I'm studying Chinese in Hainan Normal right now. I can say, they use best books I've ever delt with (there were 4 of them), and the way of teaching is the same as in most places in China, I think. Yes, location is doubtful, but I don't like Hainan Uni place much as well. My favourite area of the city is around Provincial Library, though such things are very personal, anyway :)

Hey, Nicki, are there any opportunities to study Japanese in Haikou? Any language schools which enroll foreigners? Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers! We've one doubt left... What are the absolute worst parts about Hainan that you wish someone'd told you about before going there? What about the best? (The missus seems particularly interested in the beaches, hahaha)

Again, thank you for everything!

Domingo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey sorry for my late reply! I've been traveling all over Hainan in recent weeks: Haikou movie town, Narada hot spring Resort, parasailing at Boundary Island, ziplining at Yanoda, going to Nanshan Temple Park, Wuzhizhou Island, etc. and so I'm happy but exhausted!

But hey, that's work for ya ;) Or at least it's what work had been like for me recently, ha!

Ok, you asked about the best and worst.

Worst: it is REALLY hot and humid here. Summers can be brutally so. I've known a lot of people who just couldn't handle the heat. Recently Ryan McLaughlin of Lost Laowai and Haohao report left Haikou to move back to Canada. He said it was for his kids' schooling, but I suspect the hot weather had a lot to do with it too!

Speaking of school: no international schools for kids in Haikou yet. Maybe soon though.

Overall education for Hainan people is slowly improving, but it's been quite poor for a long time. Low education of local workers is probably one reason service standards also often fall short of even similarly sized cities in mainland China.

Bugs grow to really frightening proportions in the tropics.

Best: The Hainan people are really great and kind in the majority of my experiences. I have found some lifelong friends here.

The freshest, best produce makes for some amazing food. Seriously, I'm ruined now for anything that isn't made with high quality fresh produce! The seafood...

Travelling around the island! Mountains, beaches, hot springs, Golf, salt pans, minority song and dance performances, rainforests, white water rafting, scuba diving, temples, etc. etc. etc. we've got everything except for snow!

Since I hate cold weather, I'll put no winter weather in the best category as well! I'm currently in a tank top and shorts, and it's already late November.

Nicki

http://en.visithainan.gov.cn/

• 3 weeks later...
@ Mouseneb Thank you for this topic and all information you give.,

Many foreigners live in China, but few of them like to share information and their experiences. You seem very friendly.

I am planing to come to China next year 2016.

How much do you think I need to live 1 year  there? Someone of the other topics wrote that you can rent a place for 650 RMB per night, is that right??

Apperantly Hainan University charges 13200 RMB for 1 year Chinese program.

Before I read your topic, I was thinking to study in Xiamen, but Hainan looks nice to me as well. It seems littler cheaper than it, too.  As I am on budget, this is good news for me :)

650 per night? That's a 4-5 star hotel price! If you need a hotel for a few days nearby Hainan University, I suggest the Banana Hostel, had great prices, good pizza, and is a hangout where you will meet both travelers and locals... Including maybe me on occasion!

http://www.haikouhostel.com/

Does the Hainan University yearly price include a dorm room? Check on that, cost of housing will really affect your budget. I was at Xiamen for a semester back in...oh this is slightly embarrassing... 2000! I enjoyed it then but 15 years later and I'm sure lots has changed, ha!

I just got a reply from Hainan University and it says :

''the accomadation fee 3,200 RMB is for one semester one person and the type of room is on-campus single room''.

''for one academic year, I can safely inform you that the tuition fee is 13,200 RMB ''.

Well it seems not too bad. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi everybody!

I too intend to apply for a Chinese Language Program at Hainan University for an academic year. Possibly from September 2016 onward. I'm going to leave here below a nice pdf that summarise all the info about accommodation, applying procedures, fees, programs, etc.: http://www.hainu.edu.cn/upfile/htmledit/xumiao/xumiao-2015051162647481.pdf

Here's a video of a trip around Hainan which we gave away to two lucky trip winners recently, thought you guys might enjoy seeing some of the cool places and activities around the island! I got to go along and explain some of the local culture and history for the trip winners, so if you watch carefully you will see me in there too ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngcm4U-Eww

Video and trip was sponsored by my office - the Tourism office for Hainan Province.