Chinese-Forums

Is China safe for foreigners?

Frederik451

That's a disturbing story, for sure, and I'm not saying your courage was wrong. Yet I think a lot of folks here could see exactly what was going to happen to you the minute you intervened, down to the sudden appearance of a fleet of bartenders and the blindness afflicting the police.

But taking it as a lesson, it illustrates an absolute rule of behaviour in China, one never to be broken:

Do not involve yourself in others' disputes, no matter if they're going at someone with iron bars. Ever.

Do not involve yourself in others' disputes, no matter if they're going at someone with iron bars. Ever. 

I will definitely remember this as i move forward. It is not easy, to look at a girl getting beat up, even though she might have done something wrong. :/ However, it wasn't worth it

Edited by Frederik451

Frederik, 

sounds like a bad story.  Sanlitun is a bit of a dump anyway in my view, I hate going there at night. Looks like you got caught up in a bad situation. Two other aspects to this 

1) Its noticeable how many idiot foreigners you get in Sanlitiun going around thinking every Asian girl wants them. Its embarrassing to watch and unlike many western girls who are much more direct in telling a guy no, Chinese girls area lot politer in their refusal, some western guys don't take no for an answer. Asian get get annoyed and take it out on others

2) Some Chinese guys are cowards, can never fight one on one, need a dozen of their friends before anything kicks off. Also some don't seem to have any issues beating up a woman. In my country its the worst of the worse to hit a girl. The crowd would get involved if that happened and the guy would find himself on the end a beating. But in China, I have seen this more than a few times, on the subway, night time, a guy dragging a girl by the hair on the street or slamming her head into something.Cowardly!

But in respect to your opening title: I don't think China is dangerous at all compared to any other European capital, far less that Moscow, 

Do not involve yourself in others' disputes, no matter if they're going at someone with iron bars. Ever

Sorry 889 I disagree with you there, this is one of the problems with the world now, people won't get involved. It can just mean a phone call or something. Look at Sanlitun a few days ago, a woman was killed and only a French guy intervenes. What Fredrick did was right and well done to him for having the courage to help her out. You should not discourage him for his actions. You should be proud of yourself Fredrick. 

Any time I see a woman get beat up I'm going to get involved. Actually its hard to know where the line is, In Guomao last week a woman was walloping the ...  out of a kid with a stick. He was balling his eyes out, luckily some other woman stopped it 

• Like 1

I've also got to say - would have LOVED to see the look on that policeman's face as he suddenly became an unwilling human shield. Bet they didn't cover that at cop school.

I do suspect people tend to have a somewhat elevated view of violence in their home countries. "They don't fight fair", "we don't hit women..." etc. There are differences and the statistics for a genuine comparison probably don't exist, but the UK at least does not lack for random beatings and violence against women.

I don't think China is dangerous at all compared to any other European capital

i completely agree with that

Good points Johnny. You are right It is really embarrassing to watch those foreign idiots thinking that they are so much above the Chinese people and that every Chinese girl wants them.

In my country its the worst of the worse to hit a girl. The crowd would get involved if that happened and the guy would find himself on the end a beating.

I believe that would be the case in Denmark too. But as Roddy says, it's hard to say exactly. It's just a feeling i have. I know one thing for sure. If it was happening downtown, the police would show up quickly.

As i said i don't regret trying to help, but i question whether or not it was for any good. I think many of those bartenders were happy that we gave them an excuse to attack us. it ended up being 5 against 1 anyway. just times 4. 

Any time I see a woman get beat up I'm going to get involved

That's the thing. I keep asking myself if i would do it again if i saw something like this somewhere else. Maybe i would try to help again. I hope i will never find out.

Parents beating their kids is 2nd on my list of things i just can't stand looking at. 

@ roddy 

I agree. In the US many people would say that only the lowest of the low commit violence against women.

But according to statistics, at least 1 in 4 women in the US will be victims of domestic violence by an intimate partner. The idea that "we don't hit women, but those (many times said to be non-white people) do!" Kind of thing reeks of colonialist/racist discourse, and I usually hear it from people with very strong nationalistic tendencies.

The other idea that "In China if people see violence happening they won't do anything, but in our society they will!" In the US at least, there is a lot of research that shows a lot less people will do something than people would like to think. People's views of their own culture are just a warped as their views of others. 

Regardless, the original post is a horrible story. I never liked bars and clubs...another reason for me to not ever go.

EDIT: wanted to clarify something

• Like 1

would have LOVED to see the look on that policeman's face as he suddenly became an unwilling human shield. Bet they didn't cover that at cop school.

unfortunately i kind of only saw him from behind after i grabbed him. ;)

It all went down so quick. But yeah he definitely thought he was gonna be able to sit that one out.  :nono

To be fair his training for that kind of situation was probably "Don't get involved, it ain't worth it."

"i question whether or not it was for any good"

I think it's incredibly difficult to go into a situation like that and make things better. Nine times of ten the victim and the aggressor are going home together.

But according to statistics, at least 1 in 4 women in the US will be victims of domestic violence by an intimate partner.

Domestic violence is very sad and it unfortunately happens everywhere. Also in Europa and USA. I agree with you. But i feel like that's another discussion.

It's not the same thing as bartenders in a bar forming a group together, brutally beating up a girl customer in front of everybody. (or a man for that sake) I don't think that happens everywhere. If you get thrown out of a bar in Denmark it's usually the bouncers pushing you out of the door. IF it ends up with some kind of a fight, people will blame the bouncers for not doing their job correctly. So most bouncers are very aware about what they say and do when on duty. People will try to use anything they do against them.

@roddy 

Yes. I'm sure the policeman was just following the normal customs when seeing a group fight like that ;) He was alone, 25 people going at it, not much he could do.

Look at Sanlitun a few days ago, a woman was killed and only a French guy intervenes.
Wasn't the French guy her husband? Or am I misinformed? Because in that case, it makes total sense that he would come to her aid. And if there's a nut with a sword walking about, I'd think twice about interfering as well. I would probably call the police and/or an ambulance, but I'd also make sure I was well out of the way.

I agree with others, China is a very safe place in general. But you're not untouchable because you're a foreigner, and especially in Sanlitun people have run out of patience with foreigners quite a while ago.

Anyone given by nature to Good Samaritan interventions should be aware that local gangsters run protection rackets in commercial areas throughout China. Whenever you see a person being openly attacked by a group of young men, the men are almost certainly local gangsters engaging in some sort of enforcement action; keep your distance and move on.

If a street vendor doesn't pay her protection money when due, a toughie will first kick her stall and goods around, and if that doesn't work other toughs will come running out from everywhere and she will be roughed up. If a shopowner catches a shoplifter, he'll call in the local gang who'll hustle the frightened thief off for a beating. If a gang member misbehaves, he himself will be disciplined right there on the street. And so it is when there is trouble at Sanlitun. For his efforts, the OP got a beating from organised professionals, on the payroll as bartenders perhaps, but 地痞 above all.

You simply do not mess with the local thugs in China.

• Like 2

Where do all you guys spend your time!?  I've lived in China for four years and I've not witnessed any significant violence.  Maybe a couple of bar fights, but nothing that wouldn't be out of place in the UK.  I've certainly never seen any local rackets going round beating up street vendors!

It's like when people say stuff like "Oh, don't go to that bar, they hate foreigners in there and you'll get beaten up if you go in there", then I look to see which bar it is and it's the one I was in the previous night with a load of Chinese people having a great time.

I'd judge intervention on a case-by-case basis.  The mistake the OP has made is that the person they were trying to help out was a foreigner, so by being himself a foreigner he is immediately put into the same class as the person the thugs are trying to beat up.  Admirable actions, but ultimately doomed.  Don't forget, also, that you were trying to protect a criminal.

I remember I once intervened in a bar fight in the UK and ended up standing between the two parties.  I was telling one guy to calm down while he looked, furiously, over my shoulder at the guy he was fighting, then his gaze shifted slightly and instead of staring at the guy behind me, he was staring at me.  At which point I promptly stepped to one side and let them get on with it.

@889 - That's a very interesting point you bring up about protection rackets in commercial areas.

Back when I lived in Shanghai in the early 2000's, I had a friend teaching English in Nanjing. Apparently, one of her colleagues or at least another foreign English teacher was getting together with this Chinese girl who had a boyfriend already. The girl's boyfriend was a gangster who operated out of one of the bars that was popular for foreigners. Apparently it was thought/well-known that all the Nanjing bars were run by gangsters back then. In a case of mistaken identity, the gangster and his buddies ended up attacking another foreign English teacher they thought was the fellow who was getting together with the guy's girlfriend. My friend (a foreign woman) and her other friend (another foreign woman) tried to stop the attack on their friend and were also attacked. The guy (who ironically was gay) ended up with a glass bottle being broken on his head. They were able to get into a cab and flee. Other than having to get glass plucked out of his head and stitches, the guy was okay and the two women ended up with some bruises.

This was certainly a time in China when foreigners generally were treated with a lot of deference by local people. I think the authorities were a lot more concerned about negative stories involving foreigners getting out into the foreign media, so they were much more likely to come down on this kind of thing. Around this same time I had heard a bar was shut down in Shanghai after the death of a Chinese American guy following him getting beaten up in a bar (locals thought he was Taiwanese). But even then you could have these kinds of things happening from time to time.

In the end, I still think China is a relatively safe place. I do think caution needs to be used when involving oneself in situations like the one the OP described, but I get why they thought to help out too. 

• Like 1