Chinese-Forums

Heading to Beijing and PKU: Accommodation!

ricobeijing

Hi Guys,

Aussie heading to Beijing in a week and looking for a place to stay near PKU.

Ill be there for 5-6 months.

I have been reading the sticky regarding Wu Dao Kou accommodation complexes and want to check out the places directly. I am however, worried about living in an area too close to rowdy nightlife venues (I like to sleep early and want peace and quiet in the night, no doof doof or drunk yelling please haha).

So what are some accommodation complexes near PKU, or even Wudaokou, as long as its quiet and not too far from PKU, that you guys can recommend checking out?

Thanks,

Rico

To be honest, most of the complexes listed on this site (mostly in and around Wudaokou) are all quiet. I've lived in Hua Qing Jia Yuan and Xi Wang Zhuang - both of these are 5 minutes from the subway station and very close to the main bar/restaurants. I never hear any nose from that directly. I also never got woken up with people being rowdy outside the apartment building or within it. Maybe I was lucky. I probably more depends on who your neighbours are for that to happen. The majority of people who live around here are still local Chinese people who either work or are retired. I guess if you lived right above some of the bars (which is possible) you would get noise from that but otherwise I can't see it being an issue at all.

Most people who study at PKU - i believe - still live in or around Wudaokou. There are more options here. If you rode a bike (cheap and easy to buy) you can get there in 10-15 minutes.

As you've already seen some lists of good apartment complexes, I would just start there when you arrive.

You can't really "ask directly for an apartment" as there isn't really anyone to ask. You'll need to go to one of the letting agents. The two big ones are 我爱我家 and HomeLink. Both are on Chengfu Lu (the main road) in Wudaokou. It's unlikely they will speak any English but should be used to foreigners so you can probably get by. There are a few independent agents/agencies who speak some English also. They are usually located in or very near to the apartment complex they cater for.

If all this seems like a hassle you could also look into PKU dorms. I am not sure what they are like but the ones at Tsinghua were mostly single rooms, well cleaned/looked after and nice and warm during winter. I never heard complaints from friends who lived there about noise but it depends on neighbours.