Chinese-Forums

Massive Military Parade

roddy

Big military parade coming up in Beijing, for the anniversary of the end of WW2. Pics of rehearsals here. 

Anyone in Beijing enjoying particularly blue skies? Been watching fighter jets practice their way across the city? Had the police round warning you to stay away from the windows on the 3rd, in case a sniper takes a liking to your Stars and Stripes t-shirt?

Maybe we should do a forums live watch? Not had one of those for AGES.

If ... if the leadership is still looking powerless to save the stock markets by the time this parade comes around then it will be a juicy juxtaposition between that situation and the military might. And as I linked to in the other thread, this http://uk.businessinsider.com/xi-jinping-faces-internal-challenge-2015-8 article is highlighting internal CCP opposition to Xi which adds even more excitement to this parade. Bring on the forums live watch!

Here's an old live watch for a Spring Festival Gala if you want to see how incredibly entertaining they are. Oh, the the one for China's 60th birthday was also a parade. 

It's a week Thursday, but does anyone know what time? I had a quick look, but ended up reading about female pilots (honestly, you'd think the men would get a mention) and 102 year old veterans. There a special CCTV page if anyone wants it. 

Great weather here in Beijing at the moment (well, except the rain today) - though the athletics world championships might have had a lot to do with this....

Personally I will stay as far away from the parade as possible though.

Great weather here in Beijing at the moment (well, except the rain today) - though the athletics world championships might have had a lot to do with this....

Personally I will stay as far away from the parade as possible though.

Why is that? Do to the fact you are not Chinese?

I'll no doubt watch it, or the highlights, however it's something that needs to be monitored in conjunction with social media for all the best gossip.

With such a large parade, nothing can be allowed to look like it's going to go wrong, so I expect that they'll have video footage of stuff going correctly if it all goes a bit wrong, or even CGI stuff to drop in. Eg the fireworks on the televised 2008 Olympic opening ceremony were rumoured to be special effects. 

Marching and ground based parade should be ok, planes flying in formation etc, will be trickier,and so they'll have back up footage from the rehearsals to insert for that.

The whole thing is filled with political intrigue, which foreign dignitary will feature the most, Putin or Ban Ki Moon? I think they'll do a 50/50 split on the reaction shots, favouring neither, but sprinkling in a few African and Central/South American leaders reactions for a bit of colour.

With only 2 days to go I expect the politburo are applying the hair dye to cover their white hairs as I type.

since the time i woke up this morning this is all i've heard about.  All over the weixin posts (everyone is suddenly extremely 爱国).  On my way to get a coffee this morning little shops were setup with tv's outside and people watching the opening ceremonies.   I just can't get into it...