Chinese-Forums

Using a Chinese Bought iphone (5C) with a UK SIM Card

Tianjin42

I have arrived back in the UK and would like to use my China-bought China Mobile iphone 5C as my main phone here. I am considering sim cards (going towards giffgaff). 

To be fair I neglected this a bit before returning and I am catching up now. The iphone isn't unlocked. Anyone know about compatibility? I presume it will need to be unlocked and then should be okay with a UK sim. However I heard a bit of conflicting advice so wanted to post this up here just to confirm. 

Also anyone unlocked their Chinese mobile from abroad - encountered any issues? 

Thanks 

It would need to be unlocked but there's also some uncertainty over whether the LTE bands it supports would overlap with your wireless carrier - there's an excellent chart on Apple's website at http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ that gives you every iPhone model number (check the back of the phone) along with which LTE bands it works with and which carriers those are on.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. I took a look but still had a few questions. 

I decided to phone Apple and much to my surprise was speaking to a real human before too long. That was useful but still have a few outstanding issues.

Interestingly, when I gave my IMEI number they told me that the phone had already been unlocked. I bought it on JD.com when iPhones became available with China Mobile but haven't myself unlocked the phone. 

No idea the iPhones were sold unlocked over there. Learn something new everyday.

Yes, after exhaustive research (asking a few friends) it seems giffgaff will be the best fit. Will sort this towards the end of next week and will report the outcome for any future searches.