Chinese-Forums

Finding work in Lanzhou,

sleepyjazz

• New Members

Pending a discusion with my ex partner and hopefully soon to be my partner again, on where we are going to live, Lanzhou, China, as she holds all the barganing chips now, what are my options for work.

Not having a degree of course will limit the possibilities, and having spent 15 years outside of the industry i spent much of my younger years, "Banking Back and Middle office, Accounts and Administration".

While she tells me teaching is a possibility, or serving coffee, which i think will be out of the picture.

I do teach Guitar and Music, so i have some knowledge of the procedures.

Is teaching English privately possible, ?, what sort of income could i expect, considering i am not going to need that much, as i would think, i will be something of a house husband, but i need to work, the type of work isn't an issue, as long as it is legal in the Chinese sense. as long as i have an income to take her out, buy her flowers, all the important things for the woman loved

Visa isn't an issue.

Any good idea's would be welcome

Apart from the emotional issues here, which seem problematic, I feel compelled to urge you to think very carefully before deciding to live in Lanzhou. I've been fortunate enough to spend time in many Chinese cities. Lanzhou isn't somewhere I would return (to put it in polite terms).

• Like 2

• New Members

Thanks for your replies, and appreciated, all of them,

i am aware of the issues and problems that may arise, from such a life change.

However, life is about taking risks, and even the stupid ones, and challenging what is faced,

Going in blindly is the danger, which is the reason i posted here, to gather as much information as i can,

that information then gives me a barganing chip,

As there are other issues that have made it difficult for her to move here for the moment,

means i am damned if i do, damned if i don't, Outside Circumstances means if i want her in my life, i have no choice but to go there,  

So i will word my question slightly different,

If i go, knowing all the risks,

Could i teach English privately, or find some other work,  ?,

Visa isn't an issue? It is if you want to work legally in China. You need a work visa tied to the company you will be working for. Spouse visa, tourism, others don't allow for paid work, and enforcement it's only getting stricter.

Best of luck!

"Visa isn't an issue."

OP might be a huaqiao, born in China and taken overseas at an early age, but still with a Chinese passport. Not a rare situation at all these days.

Added: Those born overseas of Mainland parents may also retain their Chinese citizenship in some cases.

I'll cut out my BB now and also take a shot at your question about private tutoring.... and I'll be basing this conjecture in part on what some former coworkers said they were earning in Hangzhou, and this link  about a similar sounding gig in Xiamen: (edit: from 2012.... inflation adjustment needed? :P ) 

I'd say you could be asking at least 200 RMB per hour if you're finding students on your own. The Xiamen post sounds like you'd be working for someone else, and I'd assume they want to make money as well, so if we consider how to negotiate with Chinese at market ie cut the initial offer by 50%, then cancel it out with Xiamen number x2 then viola! we have a low-end price guesstimate.

• New Members

Thanks everyone,

Visa issues, i assumed if we were legally Partnered, "Husband and Wife, seems a little to 19th century for me" then, while there is likely to be a million pieces of paper to sign, i would eventually have a right to work.

Those peices of paper give me reason to stop and pause for a moment, and find a different path, 

As i've already had a few dealings with visa's for both of us to 3 countries, i never thought falling in love would get caught up in a tit for tat between nations, even had legal people look at the applications who couldn't see anything reason for refusal,

While my question wasn't fully answered, it has shown some light on my ignorance of the political and legal mindfield i am walking into,

Thanks again, you all seem to be a great bunch of people,

If visa isn't an issue due to OP being on a Chinese passport, other issues with finding well paying work may unfortunately arise. Some ethnically Asian native English speakers have trouble finding work teaching English and the like due to local prejudices.

• Like 1

Being a private teacher means having students.  Most private teachers I know met their students through classes.  I'm sure if you went and visited every dump of an ESL school in that town, you'd find someone who would pay 200 an hour.  Most of them already have the foreign teachers they need, if they want them at all, but there is always some school out there that is short.  As far as finding other work, well it's not impossible, I know people who have done it, and in third-tier cities too.  You just have to get out there and meet the right people.  It also helps to make your own job.  Does Lanzhou have a foreign bar yet?  Be the first to make one, or if it already has one, make a better one.  That can rake in tons of cash if you do it right, I've seen that too.  The secret is foreign environment but Chinese customers who buy the bottle of whiskey and the fruit plate instead of stingy laowai who order cheapest draft beers and leave. 

• Like 2

Visa issues, i assumed if we were legally Partnered, "Husband and Wife, seems a little to 19th century for me" then, while there is likely to be a million pieces of paper to sign, i would eventually have a right to work.

If by legally partnered you mean married (because that's the only legal partnering they recognise in China), then you assume wrong.

There is no general 'right to work' visa/residence permit in China.  A work permit for foreigners is tied to the employer and must be applied and reapplied for whenever you get/change jobs.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the going rate for English teachers? I was offered quite a few jobs when I was traveling there, and the offers ranged drastrically, two offers made me serieously consider staying at the time even though I was traveling.