Chinese-Forums

Online Mandarin Master's Degree

arialblack14

Hello, all.
Are there any online masters degree in mandarin done by Chinese Universities (or Taiwanese)?

I do not really mind the field of studies (if such masters do exist).

If this post is in a wrong category, please move it to the right one.

I only find an undergraduate one. Do you mean the graded Chinese one?
I am not interested in elementary level training,  that is why i would like to take a masters on some subject (taught in mandarin, i guess i was not that clear),
in order to level up my comprehension of the language.
I already have HSK5, but struggle to watch chinese movies...

If anyone knows of any university i would greatly appreciate it.

hmm well this webpage says they have the MTCSOL and I would expect it to be in Chinese.

Only they don't give many details, so perhaps you had best contact them directly to find out whether it is actually open.

Does it have to be Master level courses?

How about the undergraduate courses on the equivalent website for Chinese students: http://www.eblcu.cn

list of majors

They are not all about foreign languages, they also have finance etc.

Also there are some online courses in Chinese on EdX and other MOOC platforms.

• Like 1

Yes, the website doesn't work very well. People who have studied with them (undergraduate or graded Chinese courses) said they had to install a software on their computer in order to take the courses, so perhaps having a poorly designed website is not a critical problem as long as that software works properly...

Anyway if you contact them and they give you more information about the MTCSOL it would be interesting if you could post it here.

Check out some of the MOOC offerings such as Coursera and EdX. Plenty of courses taught in Mandarin Chinese; wide range of subjects. Many of them are from well-respected Chinese universities.

You will find the platforms to generally be more user friendly that those that are offered by a university directly. Some courses can be done for credit if you pay a fee. Sounds like this doesn't really matter if you are mainly doing it as language practice.

abcdefg, are there really any MOOCs suitable for someone that reached HSK 5? I think I've only seen beginner-level courses that don't reach very high.

There are plenty. Don't look for Chinese language learning courses; look instead for courses in academic subjects that are taught in Chinese. Search for "中文版“。Here are a couple dozen to get you started, from just one website (Coursera.) They are free.

https://www.coursera.org/courses/?query=%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%89%88&limit=180

Unfortunately, I am interested in masters, not just courses. Unless the universities on coursera provide more than just a certificate... I had started (not finished) 1 or 2 in the past.

Thank you all for your answers.

i will further look into this.

Yes. Read the thread about graduate studies in China

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/36466-graduate-school-in-china-%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93-a-history-major%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s-perspective/

The more I think about it, the more unlikely a fully online Chinese master's program seems...

If your Chinese is good enough for graduate studies in Chinese, surely you can do a Baidu or Google search in Chinese, or ask on a forum in Chinese?

I tried myself but my Chinese and my internet search skills are insufficient to get only the "online masters programs" and not the "masters programs in (designing and implementing) distance education programs" results.

Possibly the first hurdle in your quest is finding the correct keywords and/or spending some time parsing through the search results... should be (extremely?) easy for a prospective masters student.

To be honest, if a person finds it difficult to understand a movie in Chinese, I think doing a Masters degree having Chinese as the medium of instruction is going to be extremly difficult and a real struggle - irrespective of what HSK level you are at.