Chinese-Forums

Why chinese people often repeat the same verb twice?

Andrew78

Why chinese people often repeat the same verb twice?

I found written

我应该问问他

what would be the difference between 我应该问问他 abd 我应该问他?

or "我看看” instead of "我看"?. I know in same cases adjectives can be doubled to make superlative like  to say He is very tall I can write  他太高了 or  他高高了 but I don't get the using reagarding repeating the verbs twice.

Verb reduplication means that action is done once or/and is of very short duration.

应该问他  means simply "should ask him", 应该问问他 indicates that you only ask him one short question.

我看看 means "Let me take a look; I'll take a glance", 我看 can mean "I'm watching (looking)" or "I think; in my view".

Adjectifs are reduplicated in order to stress the quality expressed by that adjectif, but I think it's not correct to use 了 in that case, usually it's 的 that follows reduplicated adjectif  ‘高高的‘, 不是 ‘高高了’。

But the main reason is that it sounds really cool.

Especially when hilarious Chinese people use it when they are speaking in English...

Chinese person: "Give it to me, let me see see."

Me: "Aaaaahahahaha."

But seriously, I do think it sounds cool.  You should also be aware that the same sentiment can be expressed in numerous forms, as in:

看看

看一看

看一下

看一眼

all have roughly the same meaning.

This reminds me of when I first started using QQ and I'd ask someone a question and they would just reply with "==".

Verb reduplication in Mandarin (现代汉语普通话) usually has the meaning of “small(er) amount" or "try", and it sometimes softens the tone, for example, 你等等我 means wait a second (I'm on my way), 我来尝尝 means let me try a bite so I can decide whether it's tasty or disgusting. As with 我应该问他, it means I should ask him (because I should do it in this way or because I want an answer), while 我应该问问他 means I should try to ask him about it (because this is the way I can consider or because maybe I can get an answer).

btw in some dialects verb reduplication has different meanings.