Chinese-Forums

How to get genuine feedback on my work?

Friday

I have observed that Chinese react poorly to criticism, even if they ask for it and even if it is constructive and aimed at helping them to improve their work. I've also noticed that Chinese will similarity avoid giving any form of criticism and speak so indirectly that even an interpreter is unable to tell me the meaning. I don't know if this is true all over China, but that is what I have seen in my workplace.

This has made it very difficult for me to do my work. I work really hard to assess my own limitations so that I can make adjustments and improvements. But there are limits to how much I can see my faults. And I'm also know my Chinese co-workers will have a completely different idea about what “good results” are. But people keep quiet. It has already happened several times where I suddenly received lots of positive feedback, right before being replaced with a new hire on a project. I can't understand how Chinese can function in this way and get work done.

How can I get genuine feedback? Or how do Chinese go about this in their workplace?

There are various approaches to this problem.

Myself, I'd suggest you work hard at developing a strong personal relationship with one of your Chinese co-workers and then rely on your friend to clue you in on what's really happening in the office, and what people really think of you and your work.

• Like 1

How can I get genuine feedback? ... I don't know if this is true all over China, but that is what I have seen in my workplace.

I see this as part of a general "conflict-avoidance" mentality, which I have found to be an important part of the make up of the Chinese people I know. In my experience, it's very pervasive. There is a perceived obligation to be polite at all times. May even have some relation to the whole issue of "face." 面子

"Do you want to come with us to the picnic tomorrow?"

"Sounds like great fun, but I'm afraid I have something else I must do. Thanks anyhow."

While the real reasons I don't want to go are that heavy rain is forecast, the park is much too far, the location is kind of ugly, it is terribly crowded at that park, and some of the other people who will be there are folks I find unpleasant.

--------------

Agree with 889 above about the importance of developing a strong personal with one person who can serve as your conduit to what you want to know. Would add that it isn't easy, and what you are told by that one person may still be somewhat "encoded."

I think it's incumbent on us as foreigners to become skilled at reading small hints and detecting subtle cues.

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, it's not just limited to China. I mean, Chinese bosses will quite willingly give a piece of their mind directly to those under them. Similarly, it is difficult to get honest feedback from one's peers in the UK. Some may, but most won't.

• Like 1

Could you just ask your boss for feedback? A progress review?

Or if there is anything you could do better/more of?

I can understand coworkers not wanting to say anything. If your supervisor also seems reluctant, try go to the big boss maybe.

Myself, I'd suggest you work hard at developing a strong personal relationship with one of your Chinese co-workers

On the last project, I had a Chinese assistant who seemed genuine and acted as a friend. He could have been a useful resource for understanding the workplace. But after about a year, I realized that he was relaying anything I said of interest back to his boss. He would say "I'm just curious...how much of a raise do you think you will get?" in a casual conversation outside of work, and my boss would know a day later.

Maybe I have just had bad luck, but in every department, information seems to only travel in one direction.

Certainly! I should have added that the notion of a personal confidence in China is very flexible. You should assume that whatever you say to your friend will become known throughout the office; not that it necessarily will, but that you should proceed on the assumption that it will.

This is why it's important to think of your friend as more a source than a sounding board for your concerns.

Of course sometimes it's understood and expected that information will flow to the boss. A question about the raise you expect seems just such an instance.

• Like 1