Chinese-Forums

72 hours visa - 2 hours TOO LONG?! HELP

SinLi

hey, 

unfortunately my mum booked me a flight from melbourne back to frankfurt, with a stop in Shanghai. I wanted it to be only 3 days, but she got the date wrong. So now I am arriving on the 8th of feb at 10 pm and I'm leaving on the 12th at 11pm.

I really wanted to get the 72 hour visa (or not get it, since it's not a visa lol) but I'm staying 2 hours too long. If I would arrive on the 9th at like 1 am it would be ok, since it starts at 00 oclock the next day, am I right?

I don't just want to get the expensive tourist visa for 2 HOURS, so is there a way to still get the 72 hour visa? Just waiting 2 hours before you go to the immigration center? 

Thanks for your ideas

What you are interested in doing is the "72-hour Transit Without Visa" or TWOV for short. Your country isn't stated (your passport nationality,) so I'm assuming it's one which is eligible. (You need to check a list.)

But I think you might have counted the days wrong.

• 8 Feb at 10 p.m. until 9 Feb, 10 p.m. = 24 hours
  • 9 Feb at 10 p.m. until 10 Feb, 10 p.m. = 48 hours
  • 10 Feb at 10 p.m. until 11 Feb, 10 p.m. = 72 hours

In Shanghai the clock starts at midnight of the day of your arrival, effectively giving you an extra two hours. But even taking this into consideration, if your onward flight is not until the night of 12 February, seems to me you are staying one day too long.

Google "Shangai 72-hour transit without visa" for more. Here is one good source, in case your Google finger has the day off: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

Waiting at the immigration counter two hours will not work. The rule is based on scheduled departure/arrival times. You won't even be allowed to board the aircraft at Melbourne.

Yes, arrival on the 9th should work because of the midnight rule, but bring along a copy of the rule in case you get a clueless check-in clerk.

If I would arrive on the 9th at like 1 am it would be ok, since it starts at 00 oclock the next day, am I right?

Yes, that should work. Change your ticket if you can.

See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-hour-72-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread.html

Like @889 said, print a copy of the official TIMATIC regs and take them with you. They can be found via the above link.

Most TWOV problems will occur with the carrier at the country of departure due to airline employees' misunderstanding of the rules. To avoid issues, it is wise to have a copy of the current TIMATIC version of the rules, along with confirmed onward tickets

hey,

unfortunately my mum booked me a flight from melbourne back to frankfurt, with a stop in Shanghai. I wanted it to be only 3 days, but she got the date wrong.

Rephrasing suggestion : "I intended to stay in Shangai a couple of days on my return trip from Melbourne to Frankfurt, but there was a mix-up."

• Like 1