Chinese-Forums

A good gift for a Chinese lady?

twinmatrix

Sorry if this question sounds generalizing. =)

I'm visiting my friend for Chinese new year and I want to give his mom something special to make her happy.

I don't really know anything about her, I only met her a few times, and I want it to be a surprise, so I can't ask my friend.

What are some general gifts that would be really appreciated?

Thank you for the advice. ^0^

Edit: Actually I want to buy his grandma something too, but one thing at a time. o_o

Are your friend and his mom in China? If so, the usual suggestions. (Many discussions of this to be found on line. Google it.)

Something from where you live. (If you are from Paris, something with the Eiffel Tower. If you are from New York, something with the Empire State Building.)

Something with pretty packaging that looks expensive. Packaging is important. Vitamins and health supplements are always popular. Perfume for a lady, if it's a name brand and looks swank. Chocolates -- expensive ones. Godiva will work.

Buy something expensive or nothing at all. The recipient won't think, "This is just a useless trinket, but oh, what a kind and thoughtful gesture." They will evaluate the gift either as valuable or as crap. No cute little keychain flashlight that was bought for $2 and was actually made in China in the first place.

Probably should mention that the recipient usually doesn't open the gift in your presence. It's considered impolite. So don't expect that.

Edit: Actually I want to buy his grandma something too, but one thing at a time. o_o

Vitamins or health food for grandma. Maybe a pretty wool shawl.

• Like 2

Thank you so much, your post is very very helpful!

I Google'd some online discussions but they're really old so I couldn't reply.

So, quick follow-up, an expensive brand perfume is fine even if she doesn't really use it? Just have to package it properly, etc. Because I have no idea what she likes specifically.

As for "local stuff" -- it would also have to be expensive looking, right? Like a glass Eiffel Tower. Or a hand-made cup with an Eiffel Tower on it. Not a $5 Eiffel Tower keychain.

(Yes, they are Chinese. Living in Chongqing.)

Probably should mention that the recipient usually doesn't open the gift in your presence. It's considered impolite. So don't expect that.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. Actually, I love this custom. I feel awkward opening gifts in front of people.

One question....is the packaging supposed to be like...fancy gift wrapping paper?

Or more like a pretty box or brand bag with a ribbon around it?

And is it important that it conceals the gift, so that the receiver does not know what it is?

Considering they don't want to open the gift in front of you.

Vitamins or health food for grandma. Maybe a pretty wool shawl.

LOVE! A warm scarf/shawl would be great. Maybe I can find a virgin wool or alpaca shawl.

One question....is the packaging supposed to be like...fancy gift wrapping paper?

Or more like a pretty box or brand bag with a ribbon around it?

A pretty box or brand bag with a ribbon is fine. Doesn't need to conceal the nature of the gift or make it a total surprise.

A nice virgin wool or alpaca scarf or shawl would be well received by both mother and grandmother. Might simplify your shopping. One for each.

Where are you from?

A pretty box or brand bag with a ribbon is fine. Doesn't need to conceal the nature of the gift or make it a total surprise.

A nice virgin wool or alpaca scarf or shawl would be well received by both mother and grandmother. Might simplify your shopping. One for each.

Where are you from?

Cool, thanks. :)

I'd love to buy mom a fashionable scarf and grandma a warm one.

Hope it doesn't seem like grandma's getting the cheaper end of the deal, though. That's my only concern with buying the same type of gift for multiple people.

Does that tend to happen in Chinese culture or it's OK?

I'm from the Netherlands.

I'd love to buy mom a fashionable scarf and grandma a warm one.

Hope it doesn't seem like grandma's getting the cheaper end of the deal, though. That's my only concern with buying the same type of gift for multiple people.

Does that tend to happen in Chinese culture or it's OK?

Not a problem. That is OK. Sounds like a wonderful plan: fashionable, maybe silk, scarf for the mom and a warm wool scarf or shawl for grandma.

I thought you might be from the Netherlands because of your mention of stroopwafels. The reason I asked the question was that maybe a nice Dutch cheese could be a house present, not in particular for mother or grandmother, but for them together. (In addition to scarf and shawl.)

Chinese don't have much knowledge of cheese or historical love of it as a national group. But if these relatives of your friend have a little bit of an adventurous nature from what you know, it would be worth a chance in my opinion. Good cheese is something that is growing in popularity. It is "modern" in China.

Giving some nice Dutch cheese would sort of imply that you think they are cosmopolitan and interested in expanding their horizons. It would mean you don't consider them to be provincial, small-minded or narrow in their outlook.

In that sense, it would be a compliment to them as people. I cannot guarantee 100% that it would be a success, but I think it probably would. (I can buy Edam and Gouda in Kunming.)

Cheese is high-risk as a gift for a Chinese person. I wouldn't choose it. 

Chinese people tend to like stroopwafels and speculaas but not liquorice (drop).

Indeed. The look of disgust on the faces of my colleagues when they tried the liquorice that I'd bought into the office. 

• Like 1

#11 -- Yes, I now see that it does appear on that forbidden list from customs. I didn't realize that. Guess you shouldn't do it. Sorry about that.

#12 -- Yes, it would be taking a chance as to whether or not they would like the cheese. Might not be a hit, even if it were legal. Guess we will never know. I would be inclined to try it, but maybe that's just my nature.

My lady friend once brought me the hind leg of a smoked wild pig when she returned to Kunming from her village way back in the green hills of SE Yunnan. Along with a section of bamboo that contained live bamboo grub worms 竹虫 that are considered a delicacy here. Carried them both for 11 hours on the bus. I was impressed and thanked her profusely.

post-20301-0-31729500-1450490219_thumb.jpg  post-20301-0-93956600-1450490225_thumb.jpg

Scarves sound like a pretty good bet, especially if they're decent quality. I'd try bring at least something from the Netherlands though, preferably something that isn't readily available in China. The food/snacks could be good. Otherwise, just buy something that might ordinarily be considered 'touristy' or something that the Netherlands is really famous for. Try to avoid giving anything that says 'made in China' on it.

Even if cheese is on a prohibited items list, you could still bring it (I agree that it's probably too risky for a gift in this case). I know a fair few people who bring cheese back from home with them. I even bought some at the Schiphol airport shop just before departure. I guess if you get the wrong customs official on the wrong day they might take it off you, probably no more than that though. I went through customs in Thailand with Peanut butter no problem but when I transferred in the UK they wouldn't let me take it. Apparently it's classed as 'a paste' so isn't allowed through.

Anyway, let us know what you get and how it goes down

Thanks for the tips!

Ended up getting a silk scarf, wool shawl and vitamins for the aunt.

Will ponder the cheese, but I'm already bringing medication for myself and I'd hate for customs to rummage through my stuff because of a cheese. Stroopwafels is a great idea, though. I think I'll make that the "housegift". :)

Stroopwafels are basically the perfect Chinese office gift.  I've had people specifically request them when I return home, or have someone coming to visit me.  I even had someone contact me saying their friend was somewhere in Europe and he wanted to tell him to pick some up but had forgotten what they were called.  Yes, they are sweet but they're tasty as hell.

Man, I need some stroopwafels.

• Like 1