Chinese-Forums

My first try on a full 相声 welcome you to join the journey

yedafu

Hi everyone! This is my first try to understand a full 相声, the method I will use here is the same as I Saw in a previews wonderful work of some guys here in the forum, with the TV show QQSRX. That means I will take it minute by minute. Hopefully on a pace of one new minute a day. I’m sure it will not be perfect nor I will keep this pace…so I welcome you all to try and take this journey with me. You are more than welcome to post your own translation, and your own remarks and opinions.  

*Just want to clarify that English is not my mother tongue, and because Chinese is in the focus here, I will not try too hard to double check myself on the English… please forgive me for my lazyness in advance J

Link to transcript: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2507967057

Link to audio: http://www.chinese-forums.com/files/fuda.mp3 (right-click to download)

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNOzC2Mtfzg

*its under the performer -郭德纲- after the download you will have a lot of episodes- the one i'm doing and will give the transcript for is called "儿比父大一岁“

• Like 3

The first minute 00:00-01:00:

伤情最是晚凉天,憔悴思人不堪言。邀酒摧肠三杯醉,寻香惊梦五更寒。钗头凤斜卿有泪,荼蘼花了我无缘。小楼寂寞心与月,也难如钩也难圆。

一段儿单口相声:《儿比父大一岁》。这个题目很深奥,儿,就是儿子的儿,父,就是父亲的父。儿子比父亲大一岁,很奇怪的一个题目。那怎么回事儿呢?一句话 两句话还说不清楚。这段儿故事有着益智的功效:老得让人琢磨着,这怎么回事儿啊?为什么这个儿子能比他父亲大一岁呢?

*Note that this xiang sheng open with a ding1chang2shi1(定场诗) which is a poem that the performer reads before the show to let everybody know about his now about to perform. His doing it so that they will stop what they are doing and focus on him- not always this poem have a one on one relation with his performance. Anyway I was too lazy to translate it so if anybody wants to take the responsibility…J when he claps his hands the poem ends and he start the “real” show:

I will say a one men xiang sheng entitled: “the son who was older than his father (in one year)” this topic is really deep and profound, “er” indicate son, “fu” indicate father. The son is older than his father in one year. Indeed a Very strange topic. How could that be? Use one or two sentence is not enough to explain. This story actually could make you smarter, Sooner or later you will find yourself wondering “how could that be”? “How can this child be older than his father”?  

Thanks roddy! well here it goes minute 2 (so for having fun... :))

01:00-02:00:

这可不是现在的事儿,现在没这事儿。 过去,那么说是真事儿吗?姑妄言之姑妄听之,我这么一说,您这么一听。可别较真儿,别听完我这段儿,回家问老爷子去:咱俩人儿到底谁大呀?这就不合适了 就。因为什么呢?咱们这故事里面它是有来龙去脉的,不是随便胡说。
正德年间,明朝的故事。北京城里面有一家人家,姓杨,老爷子,老太太, 生了仨儿子,老大老二老三。三公子叫杨遇春

This isn't a recent story, it wouldn't happen now (roddy version) So this story really happened or not?

Well, I'll just tell you, and you can just listen and see what you think(roddy version). But don't try to get smart on me, and before I finish go straight to your father and ask him: “dad, be honest and tell me the truth, from both of us, who is really the older one?” that just will not make sense. And why is that? Because are story have its cause and its reason, its not just some nonsense i blurb about.

Its happened in during the ming dynasty in the times of the emperor zheng de. In Beijing was a famely named yang, a mister and a miss, gave birth to three child, the elder one, the middle one, and youngest one. The youngest “prince” was called yang yu chun.

• Like 1

Might change your translation a bit here...

This isn't a modern / recent story, it wouldn't happen now. - 可不是现在的事儿,现在没这事儿

姑妄言之姑妄听之 - tricky one. Maybe 'Well, I'll just tell you, and you can just listen and see what you think.'

Anyone else got any comments?

Looking forward to minute three

• Like 1

Yedafu, could you attach the audio to the first post? Or if it's too big or you can't do it, email it to me (admin@chinese-forums.com) and I'll take care of it. 

I've fixed the link, but you still need to download a large file, and might need to register. I've also added a Youtube link which seems to be the same performance, but not great quality. 

Well here it goes- minute 3 (the most challenging so far…)

02:00-03:00

了不得,七八岁就有神童的美誉。你要说画画,梅兰竹菊,你要说写字儿,箴草隶篆,没有人家不会的。脑子也很灵。北京城里面所有的才子,每年到年底大伙儿有一考核,年年这位杨遇春三公子准拿第一名。你考什么吧,你说作诗,出个题目,当时刷刷点点就给你写出来,你说画画,提笔就得,你说考智力,没有人家不行的,就这么聪明。灵可是灵,这位有一特点:好喝酒

This kid was pretty awsome, only 7-8 years old and already has a reputation of a wonder boy. His panting was beautiful as the four traditional Chinese flowers (梅兰竹菊). His calligraphy was also refined in the cursive style (kind of a free translation here) there was nothing he couldn’t do. And also he got a sharp mind. Every end of a year in Beijing, All the brightest persons in the city have a test. And every year yang yu chun won the first place. Doesn’t matter which part of it(of the test) for example the writing a poem part, as soon as the topic was announced, in a flash he would write it out. In the painting test, he was just raised his brush and the painting was finish, so you say how was he on the intelligence part? We was good at that too* ,he was that smart. Smart is smart but this guy was a one special characteristic: he could really drink alcohol.  

*note that the funny part here can have 2 reasons:1) is the word game on the kao3 to test and cao4to fu*k which is often replace in Chinese slang, in the video you can see the movement that he is doing with his hand…2) the fact that in china if you say the phrase 考你智力it usually indicate that I think you’re an idiot…)

• Like 1

minute four when the story gets a little non educational twist...

03:00-04:00

别瞧岁数不大,可没事儿呢三杯五杯地这么干着。不爱喝茶,就爱喜欢喝酒。呵。无论什么酒,南路酒啊,北路酒啊,什么烧黄二酒啊,真酒假酒啊,都能喝。量还挺大,喝完挺高兴。越喝酒越能作诗,北京城头一号的才子:杨遇春,就是他。
这天呢,有打学房回来,老师给安排了:回去都别闲着啊,这几天咱们讨论的文章,你们回去消化消化。另外留点儿作业,你们一人回去写几首诗夸夸老师我,再来的时候带来吧。诶,杨三公子有打学房出来了,没回家,找一小酒馆儿,喝不了多少反正,来来来,来二斤。喝,喝完了晕的乎的挺高兴。回家吧,走着走着

Although his young age, it was nothing for him to knock down in one sip 3-5 cups of alcohol.  He didn’t like to drink tea just like to drink alcohol. And it really didn’t matter which kind of alcohol: alcohol from the south, alcohol from the north,distilled-spirits/ white liquor and rice-wine(eslang comment), real one or a fake one, he could drink them all. His alcohol capacity was large, end after he drank he was quite happy. And the more he drank the more he can compose a poem. He was really the most talented young person in Beijing.  

That day his teacher gave them some assignment before letting them go back home: “when you go back home don’t just sit around do nothing, you should ponder on the article we were talking about this last few days, beside you also have homework you should write a poem praising your teacher which is me…and bring it to are next lessons”. The “little prince” yang get out of the school but didn’t went back home, he first stop at a bar. He didn’t really pay attention to how much he drank but look he is already drank 1 litter. After he was finish drinking he was a little dizzy but quite happy. And then he was starting going back home.

• Like 1

here we go the fifth minute straight from London, sorry in advance for the poor english i was super tired-

04:00-05:00

瞧马路边儿白乎乎的一堆。什么呀这是?到跟前一瞧啊,一条大白狗,趴这儿睡觉呢。提鼻子一闻呐,这狗嘴里有酒味儿。三公子拿 手一捂自己的嘴,哈,心说我们俩差不多,它比我喝的可不少。诶,诶,三推两推,这狗没动地儿。心说这要是跟这儿躺着,来个大车一下就轧死了。得了,我把它 带回府去吧。由打身上把腰带就解下来了,三下五下捆好了,背着这大白狗回家。
快到家门口了,大白狗醒了

as he walk he saw in front of him on the middle of the road a pile of white stuff, what is it? He was looking a head closely, a big white dog. Just lying there slipping. yang yu chun)was sniffing around, the dog breath was of alcohol. ‘little prince” pick is hand and cover his mouth and breath out, “haaa’ and was thinking to himself 'me and him quite in the same condition, only he drank more than me...hey hey hey!” he was pushing the doge two three times, but the dog didnt move even a bit. He was thinking to himself “if he just lying here in the middle of the road like that, if a carriage came she could ran him over and kill him. o.k I will just have to carry him with me back home” he release his belt and stretch it over the dog three five times till he was bind tightly And then he carry the dog on his back and stat walking back home. He was just about to enter home when the big white dog wake up.

• Like 1

I think yedafu is doing quite well since the Chinese language is the main focus here. It may sound strange, or reading it in the English language may not be grammatically correct at times, but it is possible to understand most of the translation. 

烧黄二酒

If I'm not mistaken, it means the two types of alcohol like distilled-spirits/ white liquor and rice-wine.

烧酒,用蒸馏法制成的酒,透明无色,酒精含量较高,引火能燃烧。也称白酒。

http://baike.baidu.com/subview/252053/15827507.htm

黄酒是中国的汉族特产,属于酿造酒。 黄酒以大米、黍米、粟为原料,一般酒精含量为14%—20%,属于低度酿造酒。

http://baike.baidu.com/view/27587.htm

eslang thanks for the 鼓励:)just updated your comment.

The 6 minuet- when it (still ) doesn't get to the funny part(which hopefully will come soon)...

05:00-06;00

快到家门口了,大白狗醒了,一睁眼吓一跳,这怎么回事儿呢? 这是哪儿啊?看来我是喝多了,怎么晕的乎的这是。再一低头,发现自己在别人身上扛着呢。吓坏了,把这嘴呀凑近了杨公子的耳朵,说了句话:你把我弄哪儿去 呀?杨公子吓一跳,看来我是喝多了,这狗怎么能说话呢?一回头儿,又说了:就是你,你把我弄哪儿去?激灵一下子这酒就醒了,咣叽就扔地下了。这大白狗一溜 烟似的直奔西南。公子一琢磨你走了不行啊。我那裤腰带在你身上呢。追吧,前面跑,后面追

拐弯抹角拐弯抹角,前面进了树林子了

just before they arrived home the big dog woke up. He open his eyes end was scared to death, WTF is going on here? Where am I? Seems that I drank quite a lot, how the hell I got that dizzy...he look down and find out his being carried on some guy shoulders. His was quite scared. He put his mouth right next to “prince‘ yang ear and sad: “where you taking me?” “prince” yang was taking by surprise and was saying to himself “seems that I drank quite a lot, how is it that a dog is able to speak? He turn back to look who was talking, and the dog spoke again: “i was talking to you! Where you taking me?” he was so scared(the dog) that in a second he shook of all the alcohol dizziness he was in before, and throw himself to the ground(the “bang” “chrip” voice here describing the voice he made when hitting the floor I guess). The big white dog like “smoke in the wind” was running a way, “prince” yang was thinking to himself “you cant go! My belt is still on your body! “ and start chasing after him. And like that -the dog is running and he is chasing. They were tossing and turning in the small allies untill finally the doge went in to the forest.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just updating that for now this project is on hold for me...combination of a lot of work and the fact that this 相声 is not that attractive will cause me to give up for now. if anyone wants to continue from this point on he is more than welcome.