Chinese-Forums

所有的 VS 全+noun?

TheWind

I *think* this maps quite well to English

The whole (class / students) failed the exam. 

All the (class / students) failed the exam. 

Not sure 完全 is another variation, and unless it's bothering you I'd worry about it later, when it does bother you. 

My original comment was a joke because 完全 means the same thing as 全

They do not mean the same thing. 完全 describes actions or states, for ex.: 我完全听不懂他在说什么。 这种病完全可以治好的。It means entirely, absolutely. 全 describes things, entities: 全世界最大的城市。全班一起参加。 It means the whole of something.

全 means some reality as one thing, as a whole, 所有的 indicates all of, all members or parts of something. So the may indicate the same thing, but in different way: 全家就是所有的家人。

@lips & Roddy, thanks for the helpful examples. 

I don't know about this "完全" business that I presume The_Globe_ originally brought up, but I'll take Roddy's advice and not concern myself with it for now. 

Thanks again. 

所有的n is similar to "every n" in English. It implies there are multiples of n and refers to all of them.

全n implies n is a thing that can be divided into many parts and refer to the whole thing.

e.g. 全美國 refers to "the whole U.S. of A.". You cannot say 所有的美國 because there aren't multiple U.S.A.s.

所有的n is similar to "every n" in English. It implies there are multiples of n and refers to all of them.

全n implies n is a thing that can be divided into many parts and refer to the whole thing.

e.g. 全美國 refers to "the whole U.S. of A.". You cannot say 所有的美國 because there aren't multiple U.S.A.s.