Chinese-Forums

Can I marry my 19y/o girlfriend if I get the permission from her parents?

hitsuji182

Serious question. I know that by Chinese law the age of marriage for females is 20, males 22. For me, it's not a problem, but she appears a bit too young for that. Though, I've read that with parents permission and acceptance it might be possible. Does anyone know more about that?

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you are a foreigner, I would go to the office in charge of marrying foreigners and Chinese citizens (I am not sure how it is in other cities, but in Beijing they have one office for marrying foreigners with foreigners, one for foreigners with Chinese and then loads of them to marry Chinese with Chinese). I have never gone through the process, but many friends of mine have and they seem to be pretty good in telling you what you need.

Proving that you are allowed to get married (meaning that you are single yourself) might take a year anyways....

Proving that you are allowed to get married (meaning that you are single yourself) might take a year anyways....
Does it take that long in some countries? A Dutch friend of mine had that part done in I think a matter of weeks if not less.

OP, assuming you're the foreigner in this scenario, perhaps ask your girlfriend and her parents for help in navigating this. They'll know more about where to go than you do, and it will be easier for them to find information, since they speak Chinese (I assume). Good luck.