Chinese-Forums

PhDs, China government scholarship, and the Taiwan scholarship.

thechamp

Hi!

Does anyone know about the Chinese and Taiwanese scholarships? I'm currently doing my masters at what is a top 10 university in the world (QS rankings) and looking into going into a PhD but the local (English) funding awards are very very low outside of industry PhDs. 

Does anyone have any experience of applying for computer science PhDs in Asia? Or any experience of Computing departments in China and Taiwan? The research groups seem to be doing some very interesting things in places like NTU.

;)

Try this

http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/redir.php?catalog_id=9036

Monthly allowance is not much. It is a full scholarship, but you won't be paid that well. You can work on paid projects and there are opportunities for entrepreneurship.

The most important thing is the people you are going to work with, better find a good team first, then consider whether or not there is funding available.

What areas of computer science are you interested in?

I'm interested in a lot of different things to be honest. My thesis this year is an Internet of Things project that relates to energy saving. Building a sensor network that takes temperatures at 1 minute intervals and saves them in the cloud for later analysis. If I end up working at the engineering consultancy where I am doing this project, then I will be doing some machine learning related algorithmics. I basically know nothing about ML but have been following Mahout for a year, but I've not made any commits. 

In Taiwan especially there are some quite generous funding arrangements it seems. Are you in tech in China/Taiwan?

I am not exactly in tech, I am interested in a lot of different things too, humanism included.

I had one course in computational linguistics. I like biomedical engineering a lot and computer music. If I work in machine learning, I would want to make it useful, like make the algorithm compose music or similar things.

My university probably has the best funding opportunities in mainland China. If you find an advisor you want to work with, you can get the scholarship from the link above and then also get money for projects. The thing is, universities on Taiwan may be better at giving basic monthly salaries, but mainland China has the billions to give on research projects. There is the Internet Plus project in mainland China now. On the other hand, Taiwan has no serous problems when it comes to air and water pollution, the stay there will probably be more pleasant.

A new entrepreneurship space is going to open here soon. It has not started yet. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

Oh nice,

I have a few friends doing Computer Music. It looks really interesting. I could have taken it this year but they taught python and music theory from scratch which wasn't really worth it for me. 

Are you in the CS department in Zhejiang?