Chinese-Forums

2016 MOFCOM Scholarship

Morgane

Hello everyone,

I start a new topic concerning MOFCOM scholarship as I posted many times in the "CSC Scholarship" and I never got an answer.

Is anyone applying this year? Did you apply first through the embassy in your home country or did you also contact some universities in order to get a preadmission letter first?

Concerning people who where awarded this scholarship last year, could you post some tips or information about the process?

Thank you so much in advance!

Ministry OF COMmerce

I am interested in this scholarship and may apply for it next year to pursue studies in a "China Studies" area.

http://en.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=4849

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/upload/file/20160413/20160413112215_6416.pdf

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Hello :)

I know it is very difficult to find some information about this scholarship, even on this forum (I found only 3 people who applied in last year CSC's post) and no one answered to my messages this year :'(

Just in case it would help someone, we called the Chinese embassy in Kazakhstan and they said my friend can't apply because they only award this scholarship to Public sector officers (this rule is written nowhere!!). However I don't think this is the same for all countries, as another friend applied and was awarded the scholarship (he is a foreign language student in China and comes from Bangladesh) but then they required him to go to the Chinese embassy in Bangladesh to have a face to face interview for the visa. And as he was already in China he couldn't complete this step.

This does seem to be a newly created scholarship (as of last year?) and the details surrounding it are still a bit "mysterious".

I like this scholarship possibility though, because the age limit is a little higher than other scholarships (45--I am already in my early 40s) and one can use the MOFCOM at the best universities for a wide variety of programs. I will look into it and I may apply next year.

I am a U.S. citizen so I will check what the requirements for U.S. citizens applying for this MOFCOM scholarship would be. Anyway, that is my plan for Spring of 2017...in addition to applying for a Fulbright...or heck, just staying in China and being a language student for a second year. We shall see.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Hello Chris,

So here is the information I just got : my friend's friend went to the Chinese embassy in Kazakhstan to give them his application. They refused it and said they awarded it only to officers working in Kazakh Public Administration. We didn't want to give up, as there isn't such a rule written anywhere, and called again the Chinese Embassy: they answered they were not sure and we should contact the Kazakh Government Education Department. There's something very unclear, and I won't be surprised if only people with connections could get this scholarship in Kazakhstan.

I think it is very unfair not to write it clearly anywhere, as students spend so much time (and money with the health examination!) preparing their application and then the Embassy just doesn't accept it...

• 2 months later...

@Sailmoon

Notifications for MOFCOM scholarship receipients may not come out until August. That's what I have gathered from the CSC websites about this scholarship. Good luck with things!

Chris Two Times

• 2 weeks later...