Chinese-Forums

Travel with student visa after the end of studies

IVXE

Hello

I am taking a 8 week summer school in Beijing at PKU this summer (4th of July until the 26th of August). I have received a visa application form (JW202). I assume I will have to apply for a X2 student visa at my local consulate.

My plan is to travel around China for 1 week after the summer school has finished.

My question:

Will the local consulate grant me a student visa for a longer duration than my summer schools duration or do I have to convert my student visa to a tourist visa in order to go traveling after my studies.

Thank you for your responses!

There's really no way of knowing what a local consulate will do. Ask for whatever you need, maybe hand in a travel itinerary to back it up, then see what you get.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Also check the dates on your JW202 & admission letter; if the school rounded up to the nearest month (say) you might just automatically get a residence permit covering your travel plans. I suspect some schools might do this if asked, though it's probably ttoo late in your case.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:
I had no problem acquiring a visa for the desired time.

At the consulate I just told the clerk I would like to travel around China after my studies. He said no problem and told me to write how many days I intend on staying in China altogether on the visa application form. I wrote 72 days and ended up getting a 90 day X2 visa.

• Like 2