Chinese-Forums

Google Translate Live Offline Chinese OCR

mikelove

Actually your app provides a reassuring precedent here, since despite its impressive sales numbers (must be close to 10k now, right?) its launch didn't seem to affect our Android OCR revenues in the slightest :-)

That's good to know! It could be partly because Hanping Camera works quite differently.

Similarly, I can confirm that Hanping Popup sales weren't affected when you released Screen OCR (which uses the same technology as Hanping Popup), but considering that only targeted Lollipop (and above) the potential customers were quite small then so it's hard to tell.

I sincerely like to see others do well in this industry which is why I recently backed Outlier and Ninchanese (both excellent) even though I don't have a need (personal or professional) for either.

I'm talking about "Screen OCR" not "Screen Reader". Your "Screen Reader" feature doesn't use any OCR at all, whereas your "Screen OCR" uses the same technology (Media Projection APIs introduced in Lollipop) I used for Hanping Popup. Interesting fact: Hanping Chinese Popup was the world's first app to combine OCR technology and in-app screen recording :)

• 2 weeks later...

Out on Android too now. Configuration UI is a bit buggy, though, you have to go into the sidebar menu and manually download the Chinese translation pack for offline use before the icon for Word Lens will appear. Also seems to be noticeably laggier than the iOS version, though I only had a 32-bit Android phone handy to test with - might be better in 64-bit.

• 9 months later...

I've just discovered the Google Translate app for OCR translations.

Useful for images (can't dump an image into the Google translate webpage) and of course for stuff not on a computer.

However, I don't know if Pinyin can be shown as well and it doesn't like my handwriting :P