Chinese-Forums

TEFL v TESOL

poolmaniac747

Hi

I am looking to move to China in a few months to hopefully take up a position teaching English.  Teaching is new to me so I was looking at different TEFL and TESOL courses.  I am told that CELTA and TRINITY are the best courses but feel they might be out of my price range at the moment.  Can anyone recommend any good courses that will look good on my CV?  I am also a native Englishman.

Many thanks

Essentially any job that accepts a generic "TEFL cert" without specifying that it be accredited and include 120+ hours teaching practice (e.g CELTA/Trinity TESOL) doesn't really care what you have. They just need the piece of paper to make the application. If you don't have a cert it's likely they'll just photoshop one for you.

If you're trying to get something out of the course to help you prepare then I'd say anyone that has real teaching practice would be worthwhile. Otherwise any of the online courses are probably pretty similar.

In the distant past I did an online TEFL with I-to-I and found it to be a fairly decent introduction. I wouldn't say it helped that much when I started teaching but it did give me a better idea of what was to come. I don't include this course on my CV or anything now. At the time, the cert they sent you (a PDF) handily didn't mention the course was online.

A lot of better ESL jobs also give introductory training and term training. I found this training to be much more helpful.

• Like 1

If you already have a job lined up. Do they provide training?

Did they ask you to do this cert before you go? If not, maybe it's not really necessary.

Another option would be to find a school in China that offers a week or two week TEFL course. There used to be these kinds of course available and they were a lot cheaper than CELTA but had the advantage of not being online.

• 2 weeks later...