Chinese-Forums

Master of Confucian Philosophy?

LinZhenPu

I've read somewhere that Chinese students who graduate with a Master of Confucian Philosophy are more or less guaranteed a reasonably prestigious role as a public servant and a relatively cushy lifestyle.

Is it worth it for a foreigner with advanced Chinese language skills to go do a Master of Confucian Philosophy? What kind of doors would that open for me if I successfully graduated from this degree? Are foreigners allowed to work in Chinese government public servant roles?

I think it depends on who you are studying under.
If you find a good Confucian scholar who will agree to be your 导师, you will definitely be guaranteed success, you will learn a lot. Not sure about government positions.

Haven't met any international students with a Master's in Confucian Philosophy.

• Like 1

I am wondering if this could lead to eventual entry as a doctoral student into a PhD program somewhere and eventually a career in academia.

This is an intriguing idea!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Sichuan University delivers both a Master of Chinese Confucianism degree and a Doctor of Chinese Confucianism degree. So I dare say, yes, of course.

How many international students have gone down this path, though? Possibly none.

• Like 1

I agree, possibly none have gone down this path, which makes it intriguing. Heck, why not be a trailblazer?

If one does have a real interest in seriously studying Confucian philosophy on a very high level, then I will be one of the first to encourage that person to go for it.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Sounds like I would need to do at least two if not three degrees before even considering a Master of Chinese Confucianism.

But in the end, the glory... The glory of being the first foreigner to graduate with the degree... might just be worth it and all the motivation I need to truly work hard for the first time in my life, for the next 12 years.

• Like 1

It is less about the glory and more about humanism.

Make sure your program is teaching that. Make sure your motivation is that. Confucianism is nice.

"I've read somewhere that Chinese students who graduate with a Master of Confucian Philosophy are more or less guaranteed a reasonably prestigious role as a public servant and a relatively cushy lifestyle."

I'd be surprised if that's true where'd you read it?

There are civil service entry exams you can take (maybe not YOU specifically, i don't know if they let foreigners take them. Probably if they agree to be photographed for the local paper and then quietly go away). 

• Like 1

@roddy

This is the article I was thinking of, and I misremembered it quite badly.

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/china-needs-pilots-180955992/?no-ist

"Just out of university in Fujian, China, Sheldon Yu faced an impossible choice. It was either a master’s degree in Marxist philosophy or a career as a commercial airline pilot. Among the perks of the latter option: unlimited travel, social prestige, smartly tailored uniforms, lots of pretty women, and a lifelong contract with good salary."