Chinese-Forums

Sitting in on University Summer Classes

wushucrab20

I am planning to stay in China this summer and I won't have anything going on from mid July to the end of August. I'm thinking of staying in Beijing near a university, or near Wuhan Univeristy so that I can sit in on undergraduate classes held in Chinese if possible. Does anyone know how willing Chinese professors at those schools (or any others) are to let people come in and sit in on lectures? Are there any schools that will have classes running in the summer where it would be ok just to stop by to listen to lectures?

When I studied in China a few years ago there were guest lectures and events frequently held that I think pretty much anyone who was interested could go listen to. Does anyone know if those types of events continue into the summer months? Any advice would be appreciated. 

I know that in my country (Australia) you can usually walk into any lecture and just sit down, stay quiet and nobody will make a fuss.

You can even attend classes without being an enrolled student if you have permission from the teacher. You just won't gain any formal recognition for completing the course work or direct access to said course work on the university website.

Try to find the schedule for the lecture halls, perhaps from other students. Then get the contact details for the lecturers, and write them a very polite email in Chinese saying that you are not a student of the university and asking if it would be ok if you sat in on their lectures. I doubt there will be any objection.

• Like 1