Chinese-Forums

Symbols and meaning

Malms

• New Members
Hello,

I am total newbie and maybe I am wrong. I have few symbols (pictures), and I don't know if they are correct or not.

Could you please help me?

Laugh: eaed145c1c.jpg Strengtheaf62079d0.jpg

Benevolence: eaf6615c4f.jpgHappiness: eaf66ebb44.jpg

Loyalty: eaf66ac4c6.jpgWisdom: eaf65993ca.jpg

Hope: eaf645c541.jpg Love: eb137b1e49.jpgFaith: eb13821beb.jpg

Ambitious: eaf63c1593.jpg   Courage: eaf64f4184.jpg

Life: eaf67809e1.jpg

They're not pictures, they're characters (standard writing system for Chinese). The meanings are all broadly speaking correct, but many of the characters also have other meanings. For example, 信 can also mean "(postal) letter", 望 can also mean "look", and 命 can also mean "command".

• New Members

Ok.. Are these characters correct? For example, if I choose the character for "Love" is this character correct? - eb137b1e49.jpg

I am asking, because for example the character for "Wisdom".. there is also only "one" character - 2770be0476.png so it is a little confusing for me.. because in my first post I have two characters for "Wisdom"

Thank you

The meanings you have are broadly correct.

What you have to realize is that words in Chinese (or in English or any other language) often have nuances. 

For example,

智慧   can be translated as wisdom, intelligence, cleverness or ingenious depending on the context.

People on this forum often ask for context before trying to translate snippets of text. If you have something specific context in mind, then say what it is.

Looking up characters in a dictionary is a sure way of getting 'interesting' translations.

• Like 1