Chinese-Forums

Chinese Traditional Character for Strong

MelanieC

Hi!

I'm getting a new tattoo and I was considering this Chinese character for "strong": http://i2prun.com/images/qiang.jpg

I'm an ultra-runner. I run 100km races. Most of my friends think I'm crazy. They also admire me for my strength and determination in achieving my goals. I'm completely dedicated to my training and my goal is to become the best athlete I can be. I'd love to qualify for our national 100km team. I'm fast and have won races. I don't let setbacks get me down. If I don't reach a goal, I will try and try again until I do.

From what I see in the picture in my link, it sounds like this Chinese character describes me very well and would be perfect for me! Can someone please confirm that - that it is the correct meaning? Does it also really mean "crazy"? This is the only place I've seen this.

I've also seen a meaning of "violent" for this character though. I'm not a violent person. Will there be misinterpretation? Or is the meaning I want clear?

Finally, I want to make sure that this version of the character is the traditional one (not simplified) as I already have another character in its traditional form. 

Thank you so much for your help!!

Melanie

If you are  then you can beat the crap out of people, like in a strong-arm robbery.  I learned this character because every time there's another crisis in the South China Sea, I see 中国强大 "China strong" all over my social media.  Of course the violent aspect is just one of the meanings, the other ones exist as well.  IMO instead of a single character, you'd be better off choosing a Chinese word to describe yourself.  强 and another character that modifies the meaning and makes it less ambiguous.  This might be beyond your ability though, not all of us are experts.  I'd advise going to translate.bing.com and paste 强 into the translate box, it'll pop up a bunch of words that incorporate  like 坚强 or 强劲.  Or just go with it, there are people out there tattooed with much worse.  

Thanks for your input.

I'm also a survivor of abuse (emotional, sexual and physical). For many years I thought myself as weak... So I liked the idea of having a tattoo that meant "strong", because I'm really proud to have grown into the woman I am today. Maybe another character/word would be more appropriate? I want it to go on my wrist so I can't have a word that has too many characters.

Thanks!