Chinese-Forums

Opening a school?

TheWind

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find more information about opening up a ESL training centre. Currently looking at Hangzhou as my starting location, but other southern cities are also being considered. 

About me: I have experience teaching in China and other countries, for several years. I speak the language enough to get by without too much trouble. I currently have about $20,000 that I could use to open a school. 

I'm curious about the procedures, costs, things of this matter in regards to starting one. I can't really find anything too in depth online that talks about how to go about opening one, and what the costs may be. 

I see a lot of mention of different structures for a business, for example the WOFE or a partnership. I'm not sure what it's called, but I'd like my setup so as I'm the majority shareholder but it's in a Chinese  partner's name. However, I'm still putting up majority of the capital as I remain the majority shareholder. for example 75/25 as opposed to a "partnership" which is 50/50.

I think that's a business structure, I could just be making it up though. 

Anyways, any info or resources you all have on this subject would be great. If you could direct to other people who are more knowledgeable on this topic, that would be just keen. 

Thanks