Chinese-Forums

Help me choose: Fudan, SISU, Beida or NTU?

Bambuszne

I am currently doing a master degree in international economy and business in my country. I have a chance to spend one semester as an exchange student in either Fudan, Shanghai International Studies University, Peking University or National Taiwan University.

I have a HSK 5 exam, studied in mainland China - Chengdu - for 3 sesters, but my chinese still has a room for development. So I would like to take this opportunity to go back and improve my chinese. I can take classes of my major taught in chinese or english and chinese language classes too.

Before i was really determined to go to Fudan, as this is also a first-tier university, with a well-known business program. But I am starting to have doubts now, after having read almost only negative critics about the language program and their bad attitude towards international students.

I heard that in terms of chinese language classes NTU is would be the best choice, but I do not know a lot about their courses of economy and business and genarally about Taiwan, and I am affraid off the traditional writing system.

I know that Peking University is one of the best universities in China, it has a very good reputation. I do not know a lot about its Chineese language program - I am really affraid that there are too many people in one class, with a master student as a teacher. My bigger concern is air and living quality in Beijing.

I do not know a lot about SISU.

What do you think,

1. How could i get the most out of this semester in China?I should take more language courses or classes of my major (I definitely have to take a few classes of my major). I am not sure that my chinese level is suitable to take only chinese-taught classes of my major.

2. What do you know about the ... of this 4 universities?

2.1.1. Chinese language program

2.1.2. English-taught economy/business/trade, etc. classes

2.1.3. Chinese-taught economy/business/trade etc. clases

2.2. Dorm and living circumstances?

Thank you very much for your help, I am really confused now.

If you already have spent 3 semesters in mainland China, why don't you try Taiwan this time? It seems like an obvious choice for me.

I don't know where you're from, but you don't really have to worry about the prestige of Chinese unis to be honest. Spending only one semester does not really add anything to your academic progress, it is more like about experiencing new cultures and meeting new people.

I would definitely go to Taiwan if I were you.

• Like 1

2.2. Dorm and living circumstances?

Fudan has some pretty strict rules when it comes to student accommodation. If you are not comfortable with this, you should choose to go somewhere else. 

​If you are thinking about attending courses in addition to your language studies, look at faculty and other students taking that course.

Have you read any books on China? Any of the authors teaching at the schools offered to you? Have you attended any events where a scholar from PKU/SISU etc. was talking on, for example, the Commission on the Sharing Economy in China (CSEC)? Can you read Chinese? 

• 4 months later...

Thank you very much for your help @Angelina and @ZhangKaiRong! I had some issues with my account, so I could not reply earlier.

I choose Fudan in the end. I had to make a decision on a very short notice, I based my decision on fairly subjective factors:

1. I wrote an inquiry to all the three Universities, and only Fudan bothered to reply (in the next day).

2. I asked around among my Chinese speaking friends, the overall opinion of what they heard recently was rather negative about Beida while more positive about Fudan. What I really liked that according to my sources Fudan has a very intensive and lively student life, and they pay special attention to involve foreigner students together with Chinese students.

Anyway, soon I will have experiences on my own:)