Chinese-Forums

Learning Mandarin - 6 months in need advice on approach

cliveface96

Hi guys,

This is a repost of mine from Reddit.

I have been learning Mandarin for the past 6 months using Chinesepod as my main source. I usually finish a lesson, do the activities and then learn the whole sentences on Anki as well as the individual vocab. I don't really think learning whole sentences is that helpful. I also use Skritter and Memrised, and spend about an hour and a half each day split between these 2 resources/

This approach seems to suck. I had my first lesson on Italki the other day and there were 2 issues: (a) I couldn't think of what to say, and (b) my teacher could not understand me when I did manage to blurt out some Mandarin.

Can anyone offer advice on how to improve my approach to learning, given that I have ~3 hours each day (I'm a bit limited beyond this as I have full time uni workload).

Thanks.

Was that your first attempt at speaking? Or at least your first classroom attempt? Assuming so - it's not that surprising. You REALLY only get better at speaking by speaking, and six months is a long time to leave it. Don't beat yourself up about it, but treat it as a new stage. Don't be discouraged if you have to go back to basic 你好s and pronunciation work - in fact I'd strongly recommend it. 

• Like 1

Roddy's right. If you haven't really had any speaking practice with a native speaker then don't worry about it. Have you tried shadowing/recording yourself before? Listen to a recording then repeat yourself saying that sentence or word. Compare the two recordings.

If you haven't done tone drill before, I'd strongly recommend spending 30 minutes a lesson (or half your lesson) on that in the very beginning. It's boring and frustrating but pays dividends in the long run. My spoken Chinese is fairly decent and I'd credit that with having had a tutor who forced me to do tone drills all the time when I started.

Not at all surprised at your results.

You had a false sense of achievement going through many lessons. Speaking, listening, reading and writing are all different skills. And you basically underestimated the effort needed. If it is any consolation, most other people have had the same experience.

Speak and listen more with real interaction. Plenty of good threads with advice to help you on your way in the speaking and listening subforum.

It was good you got an italki tutor and got some feedback. Although rather humbling, you know better what to do.

I would suggest using a textbook and going through the lesson thoroughly.

I use New Practical Chinese Reader, i have written a blog about how i use it and the other materials I use here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/blog/108/entry-602-learning-schedule-for-npcr/

I also use a great app called HelloChinese its completely free. it has a very good speaking section that makes you talk and corrects your mistakes.

Have a look here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/49944-hellochinese-%E2%80%93-new-chinese-mandarin-learning-app-learn-chinese-speak-chinese/

Keep up the italki the more speaking the better. Make sure you pick someone who is appropriate for your level and it should be helpful.

6 Months is only the beginning, learning chinese is a long term thing, I don't ever expect to say that's it I have learnt chinese and close my textbooks for good, I will probably never stop learning.

Don't let this put you off, its very enjoyable and rewarding.

Joining the forums is a good move, lots of friendly help and advice here.

After 6 months at 1-3 hours per day with no focus on speaking, you can't really expect your speaking to be that great. It doesn't mean your approach is bad. Probably your listening skills are pretty decent. Now you just need to shift your focus so your speaking skills can catch up.

People say the best way to get better at speaking is by speaking, which may be true but I don't find it that practical. After factoring in the overhead of coordinating with language partners, and (at least in my case) the emotional drain of talking to people for hours on end as an introvert, you just can't get in that many hours a week of practice that way. You need some way to work on speaking skills during your "alone study time". For me the way that I found is Glossika. It has helped my speaking dramatically. There's a big thread about it on this forum. Go check it out.