Chinese-Forums

Translation of Over-Descriptive clauses into English

WenLei-William

Hello Everybody,

I was working on a translation project today and I came across this sentence:

于行走间探寻海派文化魅力的“微游上海”以及用浪漫之绳将集体婚礼与城市文化相牵的“玫瑰婚典”等多项活动早已成为经典品牌

I can understand what the sentence is saying in Chinese, but when I try to translate it into English, it seem over descriptive. Especially the clauses describing “微游上海” and  “玫瑰婚典”. So, I just left out the clauses and listed the two nouns mentioned in the previous sentence.

I was wondering, whenever you all translate Chinese into English, especially when there is a part with over descriptive clauses like the sentence above, what approach do you take to translate it?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I'm aware that 微游上海 and 玫瑰婚典 are the names of traveling programs. I meant the descriptive clauses before them (Everything before 的) that describes them.

It is a bit less readable, but I think it's within the realms of acceptability and no worse than the original. Or just rejig it again. Some events have become well-known brands, such as.... and.....

I think I'd want to see the rest of the paragraph before deciding.