Chinese-Forums

New classicification of foreigners

xiaokaka

I just saw this in the Sinocism newsletter (http://sinocism.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=f18121c5942896d3a87491249&id=e150f79b3f&e=77d10e2bc7):

Hoping to Work in China? If You’re a Class C Foreigner, It May Be Tough - The New York Times

Starting Nov. 1, the government will begin sorting foreigners into three categories: A, B and C. It is part of a new nationwide work permit system that aims to build an innovation-driven economy by “encouraging the top, controlling the middle and limiting the bottom” of foreigners in China, the state news media reported. “It aims to better serve overseas talent coming to work in China,” said Zhang Jianguo, the leader of the State Administration of Foreign Experts, which will run the system that is to go nationwide on April 1 after being tested in nine cities or provinces, including Beijing and Shanghai.

I don't feel comfortable with ranking, I am more than a number or a letter. Other countries have things like a Skilled Occupation List. At least the Chinese system looks better designed and more open than what Australia has to offer. 

I might apply for the Chinese work permit instead of similar programs existing in Australia, Canada, Germany. Not sure if I will be an A, B, or C. Not sure if I want someone or some office somewhere to tell me what caste (an eerie reminder of Brave New World: Alpha, Beta, etc. comes to mind) I belong to. Probably if I decide to work in China, my stay will be either encouraged (A) or controlled (B). I won't be discouraged (C) to apply since by April 1 I would have obtained a master's degree. Also, the Chinese government has provided most of my funding. Have no problem with cooperating with this government in the future.

Might apply, haven't decided, but won't dismiss it, keeping in mind the Brave New World resemblance. 

So it's similar to a points-based migration system. I think it's a good idea. Other developed nations like Japan and Canada have such a system and with China quickly progressing towards becoming a developed nation, it's commendable for them to put systems like this in place.

The Chinese system looks more alike the Canadian one than the Australian one. 

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/criteria-crs.asp

Here is Japan, thanks for pointing it out LiZhenPu

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/evaluate/index.html

One thing that is unique in China is the grade, there are three grades based on the points you get. Might apply  :roll:  

Or maybe I won't apply, I do less well on exams and evaluations in China as compared to international/other exams. Maybe not a good match. Still have plenty of time to think about it. 

Anyone else considering this?

Angelina my reading of the article is that this isn't some status that you just apply for if you feel like it. I'd guess that instead, if a company wants to hire a foreigner, the government will tell them: that's a job for Class Bs or higher. Or there will be quotas for the numbers of A/B/Cs. At some point the word will go out: 'Reduce Class Cs and Class Bs work permits in your city by 20% this year, resolutely strive to increase Class A work permits by 35% by 2020" and so on.

At some point the word will go out: 'Reduce Class Cs and Class Bs work permits in your city by 20% this year, resolutely strive to increase Class A work permits by 35% by 2020" and so on. 

alpha, beta, gaga 

Right realmayo, it's better to ask: anyone else thinking about working in China? 

It's maybe not that different from the UK tier system - Tier 1 is investors and extraordinary talents, Tier 2 is skilled people, Tier 5 is temporary working holidays. We have the manners to grade the visas though, rather than the people ;-)

Interesting legislation. As ever for China, the key will be the nature of implementation rather than the written document.

I think this sort of development wasn't unexpected though I'd be interested to see it work. I have a few concerns from my time in the recruitment sector.

The legislation on visas I was working with was never implemented evenly across the country. This meant a region bereft of English teachers might accept an English teacher that would struggle to get a visa in a major city. Okay so far.

But there were also candidates losing out because of a “黑人口音”, or being denied because their country wasn't considered an English mother tongue country (saw this happen with a South African and Caribbean candidates for example).

There were certainly occasions where, for example, British non-White citizens were treated as second class. I'm sure there won't be anything of that nature in the new written legislation but will those candidates find themselves graded down when the time comes?

Ha, the company I set up is quoted in the original New York Times article! Only just noticed that on reading through (I'm based in UK atm on totally separate academic project).

Thanks for posting up - might've missed that.

• Like 1

When there are: first class, second class, third class, someone will be second class. It's better to avoid it instead of trying to climb the ladder, you never know when you might fall. 

Can you post the text of the article? Sounds interesting. 

It'll be interesting to see this being put into place. They're trialling it in a few cities (as Angelina pointed out to me in a separate thread!) next month, and Beijing's going to be one of them - where I happen to be living and working at the moment.

Although I'm also somewhat suspicious of the BNW-esque caste system that they're putting into place, it could have potential benefits - some expats who arrive in China are content with their expat life and plateau there without much attempt at immersion or learning Mandarin. Perhaps being given a lower ranking might give them some drive to improve - to learn some Mandarin, develop some new skills etc. I imagine those with rank A will certainly claim some degree of bragging rights.

I also appreciate how the card itself can be used for domestic travel and other functions - having to carry my passport around everywhere isn't something I always feel comfortable with. It's only a small change, I know, but a practical one. Beyond this, with some banks asking for two forms of ID to open a bank account, this and your passport would cover that in the case of those who don't have a driver's license.

I think I'm right in saying that the criterion for each level haven't been made public yet, but I imagine the majority of ESL teachers would be ranked B - mostly on the basis of having (at least) a bachelor's degree and performing a job that Chinese people can't do. Time will tell, though. :)

Seems like they'll also be computerising everything and keeping photo ids of foreigners.

more info on the 刷脸时代

seems like they are going to include people who are not citizens of China, hence the ranking 

more info on the 刷脸时代

seems like they are going to include people who are not citizens of China, hence the ranking 

My Chinese is nowhere near good enough to make even a little sense of that article :(

What do you mean, include people who are not citizens of China? Isn't what a foreigner is?

I meant people who are not citizens of China = foreigners.

They (we) are not mentioned in the article, the article is a very general introduction to the system. I assume the new work permit will be part of the system and we will be able to 刷脸, too. You must know 刷卡, try to guess what 刷脸 means.