Chinese-Forums

就 vs 就是 (emphasis usage) - when to use '是'?

I'm currently studying the various uses of 就 - in particular, I'm up to its usage for emphasis, where 就 + verb is used (e.g. 我就不听, 你说什么?/I just can't hear, what did you say?).

The Chinese Grammar Wiki article lists the word order as being 就 + (是) + verb, but doesn't clarify when 是 should be used and when it shouldn't. I'm looking at the examples it gives, but I can't distinguish when from these either.

As such, when should 就是 be used over 就 for the sake of emphasis, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Can both be used in the same way?

• New Members

Hi, I am a chinese.

first, 我就不听, 你说什么? not means "I just can't hear, what did you say?". This means that - Whatever you say, but i don't argree with you, Why don't you shut up(or You don't need to say it again(and again).). 

in this situation,  就 + (是) + verb (but no object), use 是 or not use 是 is awalys right.   for example: 我不说,他能怎么样?  you can also say 我就是不说,他能怎么样?     in the same way 她是不听我的话 。  you can also say 她不听我的话.

​I'm sorry for my poor english.

• Like 2

是 in this case is the verb " to be" (as opposed to "yes").  So if "to be" is the verb, use 是.  However, as stated in #2, in many cases you can skip it and it'd carry the same meaning, like in the examples above. However, if the verb "to be" is the key word, you cannot skip it.  For example, if someone asks you, "Is this the person?"  You'd answer, "就是他。" and not "就他。“  Similarly, if "to be" is not the verb, don't  use 是.  For example, "Which one do you want?" "就这个。”

• 2 months later...

就 - is a sufficient condition marker. (like "already")
 - is a necessary condition marker. (like "barely")

so when you say: "
我就不听, 你说什" You basicly say: "I already do not listen, what are you talking about?" Now the "already"(something sufficient has happend for you not to pay attention) is up to the interpretation. It could very well be "I'm fed up by your talking, so I already don't listen to you." to better undestand 就是 I advise you to understand the difference between 就是 and