Chinese-Forums

Old chinese map and booklet

ivomd

The covers are marked 皇朝直省地與全图, which the Library of Congress interprets as "Qing Empire's complete map of all provinces," though there's a slight difference in the title on your copy:

https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71005083/

That doesn't look at all like the city map you actually have; your map is legended, but we'd need a clearer photo to read it well.

Too, the LOC map -- as well as most other versions of this map it seems -- is dated Guangxu Bingshen [1894], while yours is dated Guangxu Gengchen [1880].

As you probably know, Chinese maps are often re-printed, so yours could easily be old in some sense, but not original.

This is the sort of thing that new Chinese History Forum could probably discuss.

(Add: I see you say you're showing two books: so the map doesn't actually go with the covers?)

Thanks for your quick answer!

Family was in maritime insurance business in china in the late 1800s and they brought this back, first owner so I'm 100% sure they are not reprints.

Yes you need to view the map separately from the book, my fault. 

Picture 2 and 3 go together. This is a book with about 100 pages. Photo 3 is the first page. Then there are about 30-40 maps of china I assume in, always accompanied by chinese text. I will make some better pictures later today

Thanks

Ivo

If real, this is a treasure.

This one sold for well over US$4,000 in 2009:

http://www.zgsd.net/channel2-p_141118.shtml (click small image to enlarge)

Again, as with the atlas, there seem to be different printings of this map.

(Condition makes a big difference in price, which is why I encourage you to just leave these alone, and let an expert deal with them.)

Hi,

1 final request for help. I just found a huge map of japan in the lot too. It probably is the size of a small car so very difficult to open and photograph. The outside is made of linnen and has some lettering on; please see last added picture. I'm not sure, is this chinese or japanese?

All the rest of the maps and books are chinese for sure.

Thanks for everything!