Chinese-Forums

Recommendations for Traditional Chinese storybooks for children

Mark Yong

I would like to enquire if anyone has any recommendations for traditional Chinese storybooks for children, age range between five and maybe ten.

What I am thinking of is along the lines of early reading storybooks equivalent to Enid Blyton, the Ladybird series, Roald Dahl, etc. The aim is to get them started on reading, using materials that are interesting and stimulate their imagination.

Now, as to what I mean by “traditional”. I am aware that there are quite a number of Chinese language translations of English language or Western stories. What I am looking for are traditional tales, folklore or even history from China. You could say I am aiming to have my children learn to read the Chinese language in its ‘natural habitat’, as it would give them exposure to Chinese culture and traditions in the Chinese language.

I have checked out a few threads on the topic in this Forum and elsewhere. Unfortunately, most of them recommended books like 三國演義 and 西游記, which would be linguistically (and conceptually, especially in the case of 三國演義) too difficult for primary school children to read (unless what the posters mean are the simplified versions). Others recommend comics, but because my aim is for them to acquire the language and expand their vocabulary in the process, I would prefer if the proportion of words in the pages outweigh the illustrations!

As to why I chose ten years old as the cut-off, I chose it as an arbitrary age where the children (who are, or will be attending full Chinese primary schooling) would have acquired sufficient proficiency in the language to be able to move on and choose their own leisure reading material. The crux here is the early stage of their acquiring the language, and how to supplement their school learning of the language with fun, yet traditional, leisure reading - alongside the plethora of English language selections today, like Geronimo and Thea Stilton!

Oh, one more thing: I have a preference for Traditional Character editions. However, if the best selections of such childrens’ books are only available in Simplified Character editions, then I am prepared to make a compromise for the sake of obtaining good reading material!

I think you're setting the age level for the material you're looking for a bit high at ten years old. My, admittedly limited, experience has given me the distinct impression Chinese children are encouraged to read very early in the course of their education. And this education seems to begin at home. So what a Chinese four year old is exposed to might be much harder than you think. Luckily,there will be plenty to choose from, including things with pinyin, and even CDs or DVDs.

Also, it seems that children's reading material is looked at as a tool to instill Chinese culture in the tabula rasa of a child's mind. Rather than the entertainment oriented reading matter preferred in the West, the list will include kid-oriented versions of the classics, both the fiction you mentioned in your post, historical classics, and stories behind the most common chengyu. But this seems to follow the preferences you mentioned, although the trick will be to keep your children's interest in the material available.

I don't want to discourage you in any way, but I think you're starting out with a very Western mindset. A trip to the local chinatown centered on a visit to all the bookstores and magazine stands you can find will give you a better idea of what's available. And don't be afraid to poke into little smoke shops or mom and pop convenience stores, as many, many small shops will have a book or magazine rack in the back to cater to an insatiable desire for authentic reading material from the old country. There's also a plethora of websites, like Yes!Asia, that will have a selection of books, CDs, and DVDs.

And due to the legendary Taiwanese mother's desire to cram some traditional Chinese culture into the heads of children who show little interest in it, you should find plenty of stuff in traditional characters.

If I have made some incorrect assumptions about your situation, please accept my apologies. I don't have children to educate. But I have made (and still do) made extensive use of material originally produced for kids, and depending on the field, for kids younger than I would care to acknowledge.

Hope this ramble gives you some ideas. Feel free to ignore it if I spoke out of turn.

Hi, Angelina,

Thanks so much for recommending 《神筆馬良》! Looks like they have a Traditional Chinese edition here:

http://www.sanmin.com.tw/Product/index/001205390

Hi, TheBigZaboon,

Thanks so much for your detailed insights! Not to worry, I really do appreciate your opinions and comments. I live in Kuala Lumpur, and there is actually quite a wide selection of Chinese bookstores here - not just in Chinatown, but in many of the major shopping malls, too. One unique thing about Malaysia is that primary school students have the option of attending Chinese primary school (where the medium of instruction for all subjects is Chinese). The impression I get, however, is that not many of the local Chinese primary school students do much leisure reading outside of their school books, at least until they are proficient enough in the language to tackle comics and then 武俠小說. This is in stark contrast to the so-called "English" primary schools, where there is a wide selection of English storybooks available to fill the "fun reading" gap. But you are right, perhaps I am approaching this from a Western angle! Will check out the local bookstores this weekend!

Also, it seems that children's reading material is looked at as a tool to instil Chinese culture in the tabula rasa of a child's mind. Rather than the entertainment oriented reading matter preferred in the West, the list will include kid-oriented versions of the classics, both the fiction you mentioned in your post, historical classics, and stories behind the most common chengyu. But this seems to follow the preferences you mentioned, although the trick will be to keep your children's interest in the material available.

I grew up with 阿凡提, Chinese kids grew up with 阿凡提. I like the stop-motion Chinese cartoon.

a wide selection of English storybooks available

​the difference is here