Chinese-Forums

visa overstay?

bastos

My daughter (6yrs) came to China with a double entry tourist (each 30 days) visa in a German passport on 20th August. She has a valid one year residence permit in a Philippine passport, too, but the entry stamp is in the German passport and related to the tourist visa. Since entering China in August she did not leave the country.

We have been to Entry~Exit~Bureau in August to ask for getting an exit stamp for her visa and an entry stamp for her residence permit. They said not necessary, just show both passports whenever leaving China next time, everything is fine and nothing to be done. I dont have any written document from them in this matter.

We plan to visit Korea in two days, but now a read a lot about potential penalties for overstays. Now I worry her case maybe considered as overstay, too, and she may be banned from re~entering. A 10.000 RMB cash fine would be OK for me. Her overstay, if considered as such, should be about 35 days when going to Korea.

Do you have any advice what we should do now? Cancel the flight and go to entry~exit~bureau again instead? Do we have to worry detention or a travel ban to China for her?

Thanks a lot!

bastos

If you go back to the entry-exit bureau, what are you actually going to say? "Are you SURE you don't want to fine me?" I doubt they'll be keen to issue anything written. I'd take them at their word and assume everything will be fine at the airport. If it's not - you can make the case that you made a good faith effort to check you weren't breaking any laws, and while you accept full responsibility (always accept full responsibility. It's the best way to get off) you hope they'll take that into account and be lenient.

I might get to the airport nice and early - presumably at the very least the computer is going to flag this as an overstay. 

Odd situation though, others might have different advice. Let us know how you get on. 

Of course the PSB can set all of this straight, they just don't want to be bothered. In general, when it comes to minor issues that nonetheless take a lot of paperwork to resolve, they seem seem to refuse to get involved and just send travelers to the airport.

The only real problem at the airport may be getting any paperwork completed before takeoff, so do get there as early as possible.

• Like 1

so here is what happened ...

Had to explain at the airport's immigration what happened. Supervisor got involved...more immigration officers got involved...had to explain again...finally, one of them decided its ok. No penalty. Re~entry the same without problem.

Thanks for support

b

• Like 2