Chinese-Forums

Foreigner-friendly email service providers in China?

I've been having trouble lately using my email here without a VPN. It's not blocked, but it's very slow to access and sending an email to someone from it takes real effort. It's getting to a point where it's becoming impractical to carry on using Yahoo.

As a result, I'm thinking of a change, but I'm not sure where to! Does anyone have any recommendations of (preferably western) email providers to use in China? What have your experiences of email addresses in China been like? I'd rather avoid a Chinese @numbernumber email address if possible.

Thanks in advance!

What have your experiences of email addresses in China been like?

Institutional email. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of (preferably western) email providers to use in China?

You can ask Chinese people too. 

I have been using an outlook account so far when gmail doesn't work. It works pretty well without a vpn for emails and stuff, one drive (cloud storage) doesn't seem to work as well without a vpn.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's due to my social ineptitude, but I can't think of a situation where you would have something that important to write to someone who doesn't know you or wouldn't recognize such an important topic. In that type of situation, wouldn't there be some other way of letting them know that there is something really important that they need to know about? Ie a phone number or a way of getting someone to pass on the message...?

There's no harm in checking the content of emails you don't recognize, just potential harm in clicking links or opening attachments.

Some workplaces use an email quarantine system that never gets to the recipients unless they go out of their way to sift through them all. If they see an email from a domain they've never heard of with a Chinese-phonetic username they don't recognise (which is what has happened to me), they never even look at the contents. Some get >50 spam messages a day and long ago gave up checking their spam box.

Ah. Well, that makes it difficult. Then, the only way is to use a VPN. I have heard of a start-up company who has software that circumvents the GFW to let clients access google services including gmail from within China, but I cannot remember the name. If they are still around and their software still works as intended, it could be a good alternative to purchasing a VPN subscription if all you need a VPN for is to access google services.

• 2 months later...