Chinese-Forums

Great request. It made me extremely intrigued.

bartus

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, so should make a quick describe of me. I'm Bartek and write from Poland. I have never been in China, but from several years im really fascinated about China history.  I guess most likely caused in this fascination with a new concept for the great Silk Road "One belt, one road" project.
But also discovered what this incredible civilization means for us modern world on mind. But also what had to go through and survive where they were... and where are they now! how amazing way to show that they are something great. 

I would like to ask for help in translate/interpreting actually in latin just two syllabes:

This is it, and i will try to describe what i get from google-translator and what i understand.

Xeax - If i doing everything correct chinesse record looks : 西哦啊行 (phonetic. xī ó a xíng ). And the google-translate shows me the translation with West "Oh, ah line" or "Oh, ah row" phrases. Also give me so possibility to choose other phrase which is "Oh ah West Bank" (but in this way with Chinesse transcript looks 啊啊西岸) 

Xe ax - with this option, so with separated tho pairs of syllabes actually i got same records like with written togheter.

Xe.ax - but here the dot (.) change almost everything. At least as argues Google... With dot behind the Xe / ax google shows Chinesse transcription as  邪恶.阿信  phonetic (xié'è. Ā xìn). And google shows me translate xe.ax --> xe.ax (Evil)

Now a few questions and explanation. It's probably for many funny and it's not as important as guessing what it really means a tattoo that we ... But the point is that it is engaged in business on the Internet. I had the opportunity to buy a domain that looks quite interesting XE.AX, and little means to me. I do not associate me with nothing. But I'll be doing a project with which I want to try the Chinese market. Hence my question.

1. Are these translations are correct?

2. If yes / Whats mean 西 哦 啊 行 so the "Oh, ah line" or "Oh, ah row" phrases? Or even "Oh ah West Bank" which is completly not understood to us. I could try guessing that is may some poetic phrase or part of any song. But probably im completly wrong.
If google prescribed text correctly, whats means the just "Oh, ah,"? This phrase may appear enthusiasm or delight. But I can also feel some like  teasing, ridiculing if i hearing some simillar. So even that is ambiguous to me. Or meybe explaination is really simply  and is incidental random generated?

3. What about the Xe.aX transcription and translation? Is it correct? truly the  xe.ax = 邪恶.阿信 (xié'è. Ā xìn) which means nothing more than "Evil" sometimes shows "evil"(ashin) but anyway i really dont have idea what "ashin" means as well.. i found just one Men buddhist in wikipedia. 

I have read the instructions on the rules of the forum hope that was nothing skip. If overstated the introduction once again, extremely sorry.
But truly im very fascinated with this story. Unfortunately fail to understand Chinese language - yet. 

I asking really for some help  :)

Thanks for advice
regards
bartek tomas

post-66182-0-51295400-1478317308_thumb.png

Hi Bartek, welcome! 

I'm confused what you are looking for... It sounds to me like you want us to transliterate the word "Xeax" into Chinese and then give the translation, is that right? In other words, you want us to come up with the syllables that sound closest to "Xeax" in Chinese and tell you what it means. Is that correct?

So I must first ask, why "Xeax"? Where'd you get that word from?

It looks to me like what google translate is doing is taking X, and thinking you are using pinyin (a Chinese romanization system - aka a way to write Chinese using Latin letters) and so google translate is finding the closest match to X (which is Xi), e, a and x (which it interprets as xing or xin)... Basically, it has no idea what you're trying to say and it's taking the closest spelled pinyin and translating word for word. The phrase "西哦啊行" doesn't mean anything. Nor does "邪恶.阿信".

Perhaps if you could explain a bit better what your goal is, how you came up with the word "Xeax", what you want to do with it and why, we could help you better.

Non-Chinese words, proper nouns in particular, are often "transliterated" to Chinese using common characters to approximate the original sound.

While these characters usually have an underlying meaning, the underlying meaning normally doesn't carry over: the characters are simply taken as phonetics. Thus in Chinese, 波兰 Bolan is read to mean Poland, and its literal meaning of Wave-Orchid doesn't really register, any more than Poland is thought of as Po-Land.

As well, these "transliterations" have meaning in Chinese only to the extent a Chinese reader is familiar with the underlying concept. Bydgoszcz, for example, is 比得哥什 Bidegeshi in Chinese. But if you named your website 比得哥什 Bidegeshi it wouldn't have much meaning in Chinese except to those who already know it's a city in Poland.

Point is, your Latin translations are just like that: even if correct -- and I have no idea if they are -- they'd mean nothing to most Chinese because most Chinese have no familiarity with Latin.

• Like 1

So I must first ask, why "Xeax"? Where'd you get that word from?

From the OP:

I had the opportunity to buy a domain that looks quite interesting XE.AX

OP wants to make sure the domain doesn't mean anything bad in Chinese.

Don't worry OP, it doesn't mean anything in Chinese.

• Like 2

Hi again everyone.

First of all i would like to thanks for all your answers. 

Just as I thought - the question was a bit confusing. But Imron was read it well. Exactly how I meant at. It was no more about whether the word "Xeax" or "xe + ax" mean something in the Chinese language.

889 did you wrote a "Bydgoszcz"? But I'm from Toruń, and here all of us sayn "Brzydgoszcz" ;)

One more thank for all for replies
regards