Chinese-Forums

The Eagles of Canton

Lennart A

Even though you've made no attempt to hide that you are the book's author with your username, it'd still be a good idea to make that explicit in your post.

Also, if you want to get people interested, you're going to have to provide more than a one-line summary and a link.

Hello Demonic_Duck,

Of course I did not want to hide my identity. I usually use just "Lennart A" in place of Lennart Andersson on forums. The idea was that if you were interested you could just follow the link and get more information, but here goes:

94 pages, illustrated

This book is a detailed study of aviation in Canton and in the Kwangtung Province in South China during the period before 1927. It is based on original reports and other material found in American, British, German and Russian archives, as well as contemporary Chinese newspapers in English. 

Compared with my book A History of Chinese Aviation. Encyclopedia of Aircraft and Aviation in China until 1949, this is the result of an even deeper digging into available sources that provides a much better understanding of the aviation scene in South China during this early period. Aviation is often closely linked to politics and war, and the constant struggle between those in power in China at this time constitutes the background for most of the aviation activities. 

Canton was one of the most prominent power centres and aviation in this part of China can be regarded as a separate entity that developed independently of what happened for example in Peking. In fact, several different air forces existed also in Canton, even in the period prior to 1927. The first one was organised by Sun Yat-sen and his first government in Canton. 

Aviation in China is a fascinating and extremely multifaceted historical subject that never stops to intrigue you, one you get involved!