Chinese-Forums

Recording mic input/audio output

cliveface96

Hi,

I've been getting online lessons via Skype which have been great. I want to be able to record my input and the audio output of each conversation though. I usually use Audacity but it doesn't seem to be possible to record both at the same time, I have to choose one or the other. 

Is there a better program anyone can recommend? 

Cheers

I've used Replay Telecorder before, on a pc, and was happy with it. It's not free, though. Think I got it from Applian. I just checked, and they have a fully functional trial version, but it only lets you record for 2 minutes - which is kind of useless, except to prove to yourself if it works or not before you buy.

• Like 1

PC - Evaer. Paid app. Works pretty well. I tried recording both ends of the conversation and there is an option to record just the other end. I very much prefer to record just the teacher. This means there are big gaps in the recording when I am speaking. I don't really need myself speaking. The gaps help me edit the MP3 to a smaller file (I.e. Shorter time).

The quality of the recording is good.

• Like 1

If you set Audacity to stereo you should be able to record one on the left and the other on the right channel.

You might find Reaper more useful as it is multitrack, there is a free trial version out there, you could try it out.

• Like 1

If you set Audacity to stereo you should be able to record one on the left and the other on the right channel.

You might find Reaper more useful as it is multitrack, there is a free trial version out there, you could try it out.

does audacity do that straight from Skype? I didn't know that.

I have to admit I don't know about using it with Skype, I just know that if I want to record 2 things with audacity that usually works.

But Reaper is much more flexible for multi channel recording, I don't use it but my partner raves about it and he is a sound engineer. (audio is our business,  http://www.arcelectronics.co.uk/

When he gets back later today I will ask him this question and see what his answer is.

I have to admit I don't know about using it with Skype, I just know that if I want to record 2 things with audacity that usually works.

But Reaper is much more flexible for multi channel recording, I don't use it but my partner raves about it and he is a sound engineer. (audio is our business, http://www.arcelectronics.co.uk/

When he gets back later today I will ask him this question and see what his answer is.

The OP doesn't need multitrack (except for two). He needs to record a Skype conversation :)

My partner just did it with my system using audacity, recording Skype on one channel and my mic on the other. You have just have to set it up correctly. It is possible.

I tried before but was unsuccessful. I ended up paying for Evaer.

Any instructions?

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. Much appreciated as always.

I ended up using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). It is free and I used it to stream League of Legends a couple of years ago. There is an option on it to simply record though (without the streaming aspect being necessary). It records both mic input and audio output by default. 

The file is saved as an .flv however if you want to convert it to an mp3 to run in WorkAudioBook or another device you can simply use the VLC convert option (also a free program).