Chinese-Forums

Labour pains, pain of labour, natural delivery

Flickserve

Been trying to work this one out but can't find it in the dictionaries.

When a pregnant lady goes to hospital to have a baby by natural delivery, she experiences labour pains.

What is "in labour" in Chinese? As in a lady in labour...

What is "natural delivery" in Chinese? She had a natural delivery, not a caesarean section.

Thanks!

自然/正常 分娩 doesn't work for a natural delivery - a natural delivery is the process of the baby actually being delivered (head and body popping out) whereas 自然/正常 分娩 means a natural labour..

I also found labour pains is 阵痛.

我的看法:

labour/分娩

in labour/在分娩/分娩中

labour pains/產痛

Not quite sure about the difference between natural delivery and natural labour but from your description, 自然分娩 should work for natural delivery.  

PS: 陣痛指一陣一陣的疼痛,非指labour pains。

• Like 1

I think Flickserve was worried that if 分娩 means "labour", then 自然分娩 would mean "natural labour" and that term (as you suggest) doesn't really mean anything.  Flickserve wants a term which means "natural delivery" or "natural birth", as opposed to birth by c-section.

In this regard, the article I linked to seems pretty clear on the difference between 顺产 and 剖腹产.  What do you think?

Good suggestions

The 顺产 and 剖腹产 is exactly the different terms I was looking for.

Kenny brought up another thing, so all in all, is my interpretation below correct?

分娩 = labour (the whole thing about having contractions for possibly many hours before the baby actually comes out)

(is 分娩 a formal word doctors would use or more layman term?)

陈痛 = the pain of each individual contraction

产痛 = the whole time of labour with associated pain.

接生 = should be the doctor or midwife who physically pulls the baby out.

自然分娩 does work! See here.

But I searched again and to deliver a baby is 接生.

I think labour/delivery isn't as devided in Chinese as it is in English. In German we use the same word for both, too.

It is a bit complicated for me to read that site. Hope to get to that level in my lifetime.

Is a natural labour one that starts by itself? Artificially induced labour is one that doctors give drugs to start the labour..

分娩 = labour (the whole thing about having contractions for possibly many hours before the baby actually comes out)
Correct.

(is 分娩 a formal word doctors would use or more layman term?)

It is a medical term and it is so formal that you may not hear it often in daily conversations.

陈痛 = the pain of each individual contraction  

Should be 陣痛( or in Simplified script: 阵痛), i.e. pains that come and go repeatedly in a very short time, say, in seconds. It doesn't have to be caused by contraction.

产痛 = the whole time of labour with associated pain.
I'd say it is the pain that women experience during labour.

接生 = should be the doctor or midwife who physically pulls the baby out. 
No, it is the work they do.
  • Like 3

接生 is what my brother the doctor jokingly refers to as 'catching babies'. I've never been near an actual birth, but I think if all goes well babies are pushed out rather than pulled, right?

what my brother the doctor jokingly refers to as 'catching babies'.

I wonder if it's jokingly, or if that's just the way it's referred to in the field.  My sister is a midwife and she also refers to it (in all seriousness) as catching babies, e.g. I caught 4 babies last shift.

For a Dutch doctor (I assume he's Dutch), and an Australian midwife to use the same term, makes me think it might be used less jokingly than it seems.

I wonder if the practice of childbirth is different across different cultures. I know we have the 坐月子 back home, 40 days though.

So babies are caught/接生?

How about dealing with all the pain? Are women expected to 吃苦 or family is supposed to help out? Any differences?

So babies are caught/接生?
I think babies are caught when they pop out but before that a lot of push would be needed if the mother chooses natural delivery.
How about dealing with all the pain? Are women expected to 吃苦 or family is supposed to help out? Any differences? 

Do you mean the pain during labour? I am afraid there's little others can do to help relieve the pain unless the mother opts for a C-section.

I wonder if the practice of childbirth is different across different cultures. I know we have the 坐月子 back home, 40 days though.

We had that in Germany too. Just a long time ago. With the advances in medicine and standard of living conditions we deem it simply not necessary anymore.

I think babies are caught when they pop out but before that a lot of push would be needed if the mother chooses natural delivery.

Do you mean the pain during labour? I am afraid there's little others can do to help relieve the pain unless the mother opts for a C-section.

Gas, injection, Epidural analgesia

I wonder if it's jokingly, or if that's just the way it's referred to in the field.  My sister is a midwife and she also refers to it (in all seriousness) as catching babies, e.g. I caught 4 babies last shift.

For a Dutch doctor (I assume he's Dutch), and an Australian midwife to use the same term, makes me think it might be used less jokingly than it seems.

He sounds jokingly when he says it, and it's the kind of joke he'd make... I'll ask him next time I talk to him. Even if he's joking, he'll find it funny that it's a normal term elsewhere.

In the Netherlands we have something similar to 坐月子, but way less restrictions and only for 10 days. That is, in the 1980s the woman was expected to stay in bed for 10 days, but I think nowadays it's shortened even further.