Chinese-Forums

How many forum members live in China?

abcdefg

Where do you live  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you live in the greater China area and if so where?

• Mainland China
    • Hong Kong
    • Taiwan
    • Somewhere else

Just wondering about whether more active forum members live in China or live abroad. By "China" I would include Hong Kong and Taiwan.

It's the kind of question I would have just asked Roddy, back before his tragic and untimely demise. May he Rest in Peace.

There is bound to be way to make a poll. I've seen them here in past months and years. If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Like 1

The reason I was asking about membership/participation is that I was trying to refine the focus of the food and drink articles. I tend to aim them mainly towards people who are living here in China, but that might make them less accessible or less interesting to those who live elsewhere. Not sure.

• Like 2

BTW

Food safety is really imporant. I have heard that many restaurants use food suppliers.

Don't forget to talk about sourcing. It might appear that remote villages, "unspoilt nature", traditional food and so on are attractive, but regulations and real life should be your priorities.

It would be good to know more about food safety at the place where we live.

• Like 1

Well, "let's eat this exotic persimmon jam, the exotic Chinese have been making it for 1500 years etc. Chinese philosophy says it is good for your energy. It is made during the Washing Pineapples Festival, the sixth day of the seventh month when the Moon is tilted 38 degrees to the South. Chinese ladies make this jam on this day only, they get up at dawn, work until midnight. The persimmons have been picked 12 years ago during the same holiday by their fourth cousin born by the fifth concubine from their father's side. The ancient recipe goes like this:"

Without regulations, could be eating poisonous persimmon jam.

Put more on food safety, I think you mentioned you have experience with medicine. Food safety is important for me.

Afraid I don't know how to do that as a practical matter, Angela, even though I am sympathetic to your concerns and do have a background in medicine.

I don't think you should worry about the sources of your food except for maybe any interesting facts about local customs and history of the food.

It would make your articles boring, if anyone has any concerns let them find out for themselves. You are in one part of china, it is going to be different in other parts of china never mind the rest of the world.

• Like 1

That's one of the differences between readers in China and readers not in China, the first group would probably be interested in local customs, the second group would be interested in surviving (this might be boring to the first group).

Good point, Angela. Tips on how to survive in China while eating the food, drinking the water, breathing the air and so on might be of interest to quite a few of us who live here. I would be eager to read a discussion about those issues myself.

Do you have some good ones to pass on? Please start such a thread and I promise to read and participate.  

• Like 1

I tend to aim them mainly towards people who are living here in China, but that might make them less accessible or less interesting to those who live elsewhere. Not sure.

I would still keep the focus where it is currently and make things as they are done in China, but for ingredients and things you know are not readily accessible outside of China, maybe include a sentence or two suggesting something you think would make a reasonable substitute.

• Like 3