Chinese-Forums

Visiting Hong Kong from, while on Chinese Study Visa

Faiz

It all depends on your nationality. People from Europe or the USA usually can stay up to 90 days without visa, UK citizens 180 days. By looking at your location it seems you are from Pakistan. Pakistan diplomats can stay in Hong Kong up to 14 days without visa, instead normal citizens need a visa. See the website of Hong Kong immigration department for more info: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html

The problem isn't usually getting into Hong Kong, Fabio, it's whether or not you are allowed back into China. If you have a single entry tourist visa and fly into Beijing, then exit to Hong Kong, you can't return to China - you've used up your single entry.

Faiz, if you have a residence permit, that allows you to leave and return as often as you want. Otherwise your visa should say how many entries you are allowed. 

• Like 1

When I answered I focused on the entry, because it sounded like the OP was trying to understand if studying in China allows you to visit Hong Kong more easily than being a normal visitor or not. What I mean is that some people may believe that being in China you can go to Hong Kong without any permit. While it's easy to get one, you shouldn't think that China and Hong Kong automatically grant you the same rights. If you have a nationality that doesn't need a visa for staying a certain amount of time in Hong Kong, you simply bring your passport, they apply a stamp on it and you have to exit before your time expires. For entering Hong Kong you (as Pakistani, if you confirm your nationality) need a visa. Interestingly, even if you are a Chinese citizen (and you don't need a passport) you would still need to go to the immigration department of your city and apply for a permit for visiting Hong Kong (and they would give you far less days than if you were an American or European citizen). Clarified this, it's certainly true that you not only need to entry Hong Kong but also come back to China. As stated by Roddy, if you have a single entry visa for China and you exit China, you can't enter China again without requesting a new visa. There are visa agencies in Hong Kong and unless things change, it's relatively easy to get another visa, especially if for tourism, but that would give you only 30 days. Since you are a short term (for up to 6 months, with X1 visa) or long term (with X2 visa) student in China, you can apply for a residence permit (during the first 30 days since your arrival in China) and once you got it, you can enter and exit China without problems I guess, but still remember that if you are from Pakistan you need a visa for entering Hong Kong.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. Yes, I am from Pakistan. And I am applying for chinese Visa in few days, for multiple enteries.

BTW, after arriving in China, and after getting residence permit within 30 days, it automatically enables multiple entries?

Seems you've got the visa stuff under control. As far as logistics goes:

Trains every hour or so from East Station (广州东站) to the border in Shenzhen or Kowloon. Really convenient, tickets about 200 one way I think. There are also plenty of buses, fair bit cheaper but obviously slower and you have to change at the border. They leave from some of the bigger hotels. Let me know if you need any more info.

About accommodation:

When I went to Hong Kong I paid about 100 dollars/night for a very small double room (small also for one person). It wasn't a luxury hotel. Maybe some of you went to Hong Kong more times than me. How much did you pay? How can one spend less for the accommodation? It seems prices are pretty high.

Hotel rates are always in flux, changing as market conditions change. Suggest you look at booking.com, agoda, ctrip and elong, and read the reviews.

But yes, Hong Kong is an expensive place, and finding a hotel room -- as distinct from a backpacker's hostel -- for less than US$80 is a very great challenge.