Chinese-Forums

Sports for kids in China

Mike

In England the main sports that kids play at school are football, rugby, cricket, athletics and swimming: I've probably missed something important! Ice hockey is also popular in some areas, although this is not linked with schools but with local clubs. I was wondering if Chinese children play any of these sports? What are the most popular sports in China for children? I imagine that it varies depending on area?

since i am a chinese, I could tell ya that football and basketball as well as pingpang are the most popular sports all over china.......you are right, there is regional difference...like.. in my home province, martial arts and taichi are also kind of popular.....in some high schools and colleges,.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, was hoping someone can help me with something. I am a producer from a production company in Singapore and am looking for intersting ideas for documentaries. With the up and coming olympics, networks around the world will be looking for sports documentaries with chinese flavour.

I was wandering what are the popular sports played by the everyday chinese child. In a previous post I saw that football and basketball is common. Is there a sport that children, and all children, rich and poor can and do play in the streets. To give you an example, Brazilian children play football all day every day. it's in their blood. Its a thing they call "Ginga". Football in their culture, religion, a way of life.

In china, is there something like this that all chinese people young and old that can appreciate. A sport that breaks down boundaries of race or class.

Hopefully, someone can help me on this,

Cheers and happy New Year.

Ken Minehan

• 3 weeks later...

Nowadays, the most popular 'sport' among boys probably is computer games, as to something phsical, they will play basketball, pingpong and football. Most girls prefer to jogging and sometimes basketball.

Well, I do not do any sports unless on a P.E. lesson, where our teacher force us to do some.

most popular 'sport' among boys probably is computer games

Ha ha, true. So sad...

Thing is, I never noticed many playing fields or courts in China - remember, sports & leisure are luxuries of wealthy communities - and most of China is still busy working most of the day to enjoy those much.