Chinese-Forums

Bookshops in Singapore

carlo

I'm probably going to be in Singapore in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has bookshops to recommend. I'm thinking of places selling books in Chinese and/or for learners of Chinese.

As far as Chinese books are concerned, I'm interested in anything from non-mainland publishers (mainland books I can get in the mainland for a fraction of the price), like, literature, social sciences, history etc.

I also know that Chinese is taught as a second language in secondary schools in Singapore, so I'm expecting to find resources for advanced learners (I did see once a study book with substitution drills etc that was quite challenging compared to mainland published material, can't remember the publisher's name). Any ideas where I should look for those?

I also like rummaging in pawn shops and used bookstores, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I´d recommend Kinokuniya Book Store at Takashimaya Shopping Center, 391 Orchard Road. They have a huge selection of chinese books. If you are looking for study books, there is a big shopping center where all the shops are selling books (there are around 30 bookstores). Unfortunately I forgot the name, I think its in the city center. You should ask there, as they have every kind of book.

I also know that Chinese is taught as a second language in secondary schools in Singapore, so I'm expecting to find resources for advanced learners
I think you're spot on there. Of the very few Chinese books published in Singapore that I've used, I'm happy with them all. I also had the same idea of visiting bookshops when I was in Singapore but since it was only a one day visit, I didn't manage to do it. I hope you'll time to do better.