If anyone can think of some simple sentences I've forgotten below, or perhaps ambiguities in the ones I've written, please let me know.
I like to read books. (In general.)我喜歡讀書.
I like to drink water. 我喜歡喝水.
I like to sleep. 我喜歡睡覺.
I hate reading books. 我討厭讀書.
I hate drinking water. 我討厭喝水.
I hate sleeping. 我討厭睡覺.
Should I read this book? 我應該讀這本書嗎?
Should I drink this water? 我應該喝這水嗎?
Should I sleep? 我應該睡覺嗎?
Do I have to read this book? 我一定要讀這本書嗎?
Do I have to drink this water? 我一定要喝這水嗎?
Do I have to sleep? 我一定要睡覺嗎?
I am reading the book. 我(正)在讀書.
I am drinking water. 我(正)在喝水.
I am sleeping. 我(正)在睡覺.
Notes: 正is only necessary if you wish to emphasize that the action is taking place “right now at this moment”, correct? i.e. It would be equivalent to saying “I am reading the book at this exact moment.” .
I was reading the book. (But not any more.) 我剛剛在讀書.
I was drinking water. 我剛剛在喝水.
I was sleeping. 我剛剛在睡覺.
Notes: The basic sentence 我在讀書 could refer to the past or present. 剛剛 is just one option of describing past tense in Chinese – it means “recently”. Any number of modifiers could be added to this sentence instead of 剛剛to indicate exactly when the reading took place. (上週, 上個月, 後年, etc.).
I read the book. (past tense) 我讀了書.
I drank the water. 我喝了水.
I slept. 我睡覺了.
I finished reading the book. 我讀完了這本書.
I finished drinking this water. 我喝完了這水.
I finished sleeping. 我睡完覺了.
I wasn’t reading books. (At the time in question) 我沒有在讀書
I wasn’t drinking water. 我沒有在喝水.
I wasn’t sleeping. 我沒有在睡覺.
I read many books. 我讀許多書.
I drink a lot of water. 我喝許多水..
I sleep a lot. 我經常睡覺. (I sleep often.)
Notes: The third sentence in English has a different meaning than the previous two, hence the different wording in Chinese.
I don't have many books. 我沒有很多書.
I don’t drink a lot of water..
I don’t sleep a lot. 我不經常睡覺.
Notes: The third sentence in English has a different meaning than the previous two, hence the different wording in Chinese.
I used to have many books (but not any more.) 我以前有很多書 (許多書/ 不少書)
I used to drink a lot of water. 我以前喝很多水.
I used to sleep a lot. 我以前經常睡覺. (I used to sleep often.)
Notes: The third sentence in English has a different meaning than the previous two, hence the different wording in Chinese.
I've never read a book. 我從來沒有讀過一本書
I’ve never drunk water. 我從來沒有喝過水.
I’ve never slept. 我從來沒有睡覺.
I'm about to read a book. 我快要讀書了.
I’m about to drink (some) water. 我快要喝水了.
I’m about to sleep. 我快要睡覺了.
I will read a book next week. 我下個星期會讀一本書
I will drink water next week. 我下個星期會喝水.
I will sleep next week. 我下個星期會睡覺.
Note: These sentences imply that you are going to WAIT to perform these actions. So unless you want to actually not sleep or drink water for a week they don't make sense. They are grammatically correct, however.
I read books often. 我經常讀書.
I drink water often. 我經常喝水.
I sleep often. 我經常睡覺.
I've read many books. (In the past.) 我已經讀了很多書了 (很多 or 不少)
I've drunk a lot of water. 我已經喝了很多水.
I’ve slept a lot. 我已經睡了很長時間.
Notes: The reason the first statement needs a "了" at the end is that the statement "I've read many books" implies a longer term context, whereas the latter two statements would tend to imply a shorter term. Of course if you wanted to say that you've slept a lot in your entire lifetime, you would add a second "了" in that sentence as well.
I read too many books. (Ongoing problem.) 我讀太多書了
I drink too much water. 我喝太多水.
I sleep too much. 我睡太多了.
I don't read books any more. (But I have before.) 我(現在)不讀書了.
I don’t drink water any more. 我不喝水了.
I don’t sleep any more. 我不睡覺了.
I read books sometimes.我有時候會讀書 or 我偶爾會閱讀.
I drink water sometimes. 我有時候會喝水 or 我偶爾會喝水
I sleep sometimes. 我有時候會睡覺 or 我偶爾會睡覺
I almost never read books. 我幾乎從來都不讀書.
I almost never drink water. 我幾乎從來都不喝水.
I almost never sleep. 我幾乎從來都不睡覺.
I need to read more books. 我需要多讀一點書.
I need to drink more water. 我需要多喝一點水.
I need to sleep more. 我需要多睡一點覺.
I wouldn't read this book if I were you. 我要是你, 我就不會讀這本書.
I wouldn’t drink this water if I were you. 我要是你, 我就不會喝這水.
I wouldn’t sleep if I were you. 我要是你, 我就不會睡覺.
I've already read this book. (Statement of fact.) 我已經讀過這本書.
I’ve already drunk this water. 我已經喝過這水.
I’ve already slept. 我已經睡完覺
I made him read this book. 我逼了他讀這本書.
I made him drink this cup of water. 我逼了他喝這杯水.
I made him sleep. 我逼了他睡覺.
A few basic prepositional phrase translations (by no means comprehensive):
I read the book to him. 我讀了這本書給他聽.
I read a book about China. 我讀了一本關於中國的書.
I read this book for homework. 我讀這本書是為了寫作業.
I read books in order to learn. 我讀書是為了學習./ 我閱讀是為了學習.
The following sentences seemed to be too much for this basic primer, so I took them out:
I am almost always reading a book. (removed, too complex)
I never read books. (removed for contextual ambiguity)
I would never read a book. (removed for contextual ambiguity)
I will always read books. (removed for contextual ambiguity)
I can't read this book. (removed for contextual ambiguity)





This topic is locked
