Chinese-Forums

之vs. 的. Usage?

Zhende ma?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could guide me on correct usage of 之 and 的. When you have a word or phrase modifying the subject. I've seen them used in similar situations. I think 之 is more for written language but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, use 的 at first, as it is colloquial; 之 is mostly classical, with various meanings, and it will sound funny if you try to use it as a simple replacement for 的. When you hit very advanced levels you'll start to get a feel for when it is ok to use 之 in writing and occasionally even in speech.

yes, i just found the regulation right now:

when NEXT word is a single character, we always use 之, otherwise(two-character word, more-character word), you can always use 的, despite whether that we can change it to 之

examples:

美国之音

中国之旅

太行之巅

你我之间

and there are lot of examples with 的, u can just find it by yourself.

之 is the classical genitive.

的 is pretty recent, I think first appeared in Ming text. And applies only to Mandarin. Southern dialects tend to use ge/ga. 之 is typically used as a genitive for morphemes in ONE WORD (like: 味之素 for MSG; or fractions, etc), or as a short headline-like clause (you see it often for journal titles); while 的 is used for clauses in conversational grammar.

Since all Japanese words have a character equivalent, the possessive "no" の can also be written as 之. 

之 is often used temporal clauses as well, and very common in Shanghainese: 白相好之以后...我 (After playing, I... ). In SH, we can also say 电视看之前头... (Before watching TV...).

But like 39degN said, in Mandarin, usually single character word follows the 之 as in 玩好之后...

之 can also mean "that" in classical Chinese.

trooper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

when NEXT word is a single character, we always use 之

我的书?

美丽的花?<This 的 is following an adjective and has different

meaning as the former one which means 'of'.>

well, when use 之, the next NOUN is often a single character in modern

chinese. :wink:

But like 39degN said, in Mandarin, usually single character word follows the 之 as in 玩好之后...

So would it be accurate to say that after 之 you usually get a single-character word, but after 的 it can be either.

Seems likely to me, with 之 being more classical, and classical Chinese being more monosyllabic.

yes, i just found the regulation right now:

So where was it 'found'?

Roddy

hehe, i think i didnt make it clear, i meant, i just got a conclusion by myself, i m sorry for that. :oops:

i will collect enough knock-down arguments to prove my point next time... :conf

Seems likely to me, with 之 being more classical, and classical Chinese being more monosyllabic.

yeah, it is, also, skylee and kentsuarez's points are right, but I just wanted to find a regulation there as a plus. Seems it failed.

:-?