Chinese-Forums

Sogou pinyin, Sogou Chinese IME

badr

This is the new rage in my office.. all the staff swears by the new Sogou pinyin input system and i must admit it beats anything microsoft by a mile. Trouble is I just can't manage to get it to run on XP english even after tweaking the language settings.

has anyone gotten it to run yet?

http://www.sogou.com/pinyin/

• 2 months later...

Anyone been using this long term? It looks quite tempting, particularly the way it updates online to cover new words. I'm normally wary about downloads from sites I wouldn't particularly trust, but it says its clean. Seems to be a bit Web 2.0y, with a full changelog and blog online . . .

I've also been using it for quite some time now, and I think it's great. The only odd thing that happens for me is that every time it searches for an update, I get a "failure" message which then closes the updater program. Not a big deal, though.

• 2 months later...

Got this installed now. Nice and friendly to use, no complaints. Comes with a range of soft keyboards - pinyin, Russian,zhuyin, hirigana and katagana (sp?). Plust lots of options I haven't look at yet.

• 2 months later...
start->control panel->regions and languages->advanced panel->set Chinese as non-Unicode Programs.

Spent ages trying to get it to work on English XP, and finally realized I would find the answer here. I've also removed the original Microsoft IME as I found it just got in the way . . .

• 1 year later...

Recently I switched over from Google to Sogou pinyin due to what I've heard from another forum member. For me, I use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional characters and find that Sogou is much more accurate. Also, I'm loving the features such as skin changing, word error reporting, etc. But alas, I think I am of a minority that use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional Chinese.

But alas, I think I am of a minority that use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional Chinese.

I too use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional Chinese. I agree with others' comments that the IME that comes with window is not good enough but I'm too lazy to install google or other alternatives.

• 7 months later...

Oddly enough it wasn't. Reinstalled and then used 输入法修复 application under sogou's program group to choose the ones I wanted. I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what happened, but it seemed to just remove all Chinese IME's - including Pinyinput, so you might want to prepare for a flood of unpaid support requests. :wink:

Oh I see... mine has not upgraded yet (although I had to do a complete fresh install of everything a couple of weeks ago due to some really crappy problems with my laptop so maybe I got the latest version)... will look out for this when or if it does... cheers

Few new features now, nothing spectacular and if I can be bothered delving into the preferences I might turn some them off.

There's now an English dictionary integrated, so if you type 'int,' you get a list of words starting with int - might be handy for words I can't spell. What I'd actually like is some way for it to guess when I've started typing English without switching languages, so I can type 'what ' and get 'what ' instead of 为哈特‘。

It is now more intelligent at spotting names. Eg if you type liuxiangyu you get 刘翔宇 as one of your options with a little 'this could be a name' icon.

If you type ku you get %>_

Something else I just spotted is that in certain cases you can type the names of components to get a character. Eg type wangba and you get 兲 with (tian) next to it so you know what to type next time. I'd guess there's a list of rare characters this happens for, only saw it once.