洋洋自得(yang yang zi de): to be very pleased with oneself

自命不凡(zi ming bu fan): to consider oneself no ordinary

不可一世(bu ke yi shi): to think no one in the world could be better than oneself

孤芳自赏(gu fang zi shang): a solitary flower in love with its own fragrance

趾高气昂(zhi gao qi ang): to raise ones feet high while walking

刚愎自用(gang bi zi yong): headstrong but wrong-headed

妄自尊大(wang zi zun da): to be overweening because of one’s position

恃才傲物(shi cai ao wu): to be inordinately proud of one's ability

忘乎所以(wang hu suo yi): to be drunk with sth.

居功自傲(ju gong zi ao): to be self-important because of one’s contribution

夜郎自大(ye lang zi da): ludicrous conceit of the king of Yelang (Yelang was king of a very small country, but he considered his territory is very big.)

骄横跋扈(jiao heng ba hu): arrogant and overbearing

班门弄斧(ban men nong fu): to show off hatchet in front of Luban’s house (Luban was a legend tool maker who was first man who invented saw in Chinese history.)

不知天高地厚(bu zhi tian gao di hou): not to know the height of air and depth of land

关公面前耍大刀(guan gong mian qian shua da dao): to display one’s skill of using broadsword in front of Guangong (Guangong’s original name is Guanyu, he was a very formidable general during Sanguo Period and specialized at using broadsword)

Edited by rivercao

most of the explanation in English is from online dictionary, for some of the idioms, I cannot find their explanation in English, so I used my own words, hopefully they won't be too misleading.

Any one who has other idioms in terms of proud mood, please add them to this list.

But this idiom is supposed to hold positive connotations, right? (unlike most of the others)

No, it's negative. All I have listed are negative connotations, and...I didn't see any positive idiom in terms of this mood in dictionary, I think this is because proud mood is human's weakness, so in no way it could be encouraged.

No, it's negative. All I have listed are negative connotations, and...I didn't see any positive idiom in terms of this mood in dictionary, I think this is because proud mood is human's weakness, so in no way it could be encouraged.

Oh OK, I see. The reason why I thought that was because I've seen this particular idiom being used to describe a person who feels proud to be a righteous and morally upright person amidst a decadent and immoral society... :mrgreen:

Thanks for giving up your time to put together this list by the way, it's really helpful. I like the way how all these different expressions come under the same meaning. :wink:

Wait, would 居高临下 work here as well? Maybe not referring to pride explicitly but...what do you think?

Yes, It can be used to explain someone has a better status and feeling facing his counterparts.(not sure if the English is good). Also it means to have a commanding view from a vantage ground.

The use of direct meaning and metaphor can be half half in life. Here are two examples:

1. 我们的军队占领了高地,居高临下与敌军作战。(high position)

2. 他总是给人以一种居高临下的感觉。(pride)