Chinese-Forums

Annotator<>Dictionary?

jMichael

Is it expected that the annotator will sometimes not be able to find a character, but the dictionary will be able to find the same character?

For example, 顏 (yán) is not found by the annotator, but is found by the dictionary. I have seen this with at least a couple more characters, but this is the only one I remember at the moment.

It appears that the not-found character isn't in the dictionary as a separate character, but only in combinations. If I put one of those combinations into the annotator, such as 顏色 (yánsè) then the annotator does find the character.

I am using the 0.5.2 release.

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response. So yes, the annotator uses your current dictionary (Cedict or Adso) to come up with its annotations. So if 顏 doesn't exist as a separate character in the dictionary, then the annotator won't be able to come up with a definition. Do you think it should be able to?

Chris

No, I suppose that makes sense. If there isn't an individual definition in the dictionary, the annotator can't show you one.

Since this situation may be relatively rare (I've only seen a few characters show up like this), it might not be worth the effort, but...would there be a way to signify this condition? For example, if the character is not found individually, could you still have a pop-up, but instead of the definition just say something like [Character not found, check dictionary for alternate combinations] or similar? Or would that just confuse people? For me, it would be a good reminder to look in the dictionary. As it is, I tend to think if the annotator function didn't find it, it's not in the dictionary at all.

If a character is able to be annotated, it turns green. If not, it stays black. So you should be able to tell what's going without even looking at the popup. Then if you really want, you can copy and paste the un-annotated character into the Dictionary and do a 'contains' search to check if it has any compounds.

Chris