Chinese-Forums

Display Problem zdt 0.5.2 with Imported Wordlist

thph2006

Can anyone help with this problem?

I'm using zdt 0.5.2 and created a new wordlist in MS Word using the

Traditional[tab]Simplified[tab]pinyin[tab]/definition[paragraph mark] format. The list was saved as a UTF-8 encoded text file and then imported into zdt.

The before and after lists are pasted below. The first list is the source list (radical list from the Integrated Chinese course) which was used in the import process. The list imported into zdt without any error messages but when displayed in zdt there are entries missing and the pinyin doesn't display at all for most of the entries. If you edit an individual entry you can see that the pinyin is actually in the entry in the database, but for some reason it just doesn't display. I have a feeling the problem might have something to do with the fact that some of the "definition field" entries contain Chinese characters. Anyone seen this problem before and/or have a fix for it?

Note: Even though the second (exported from zdt) list seems to have all the pinyin entries, they don't display in zdt. It's also nine entries shorter than the original list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original list pasted from MS Word

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

人 人 rén /man, person, people. Radical form is 亻/

刀 刀 dāo /knife. Radical form is 刂/

力 力 lì /power, force, strength/

又 又 yòu /right hand; again/

口 口 kǒu /mouth/

囗 囗 wéi /enclose/

土 土 tǔ /earth/

夕 夕 xī /sunset, dusk/

大 大 dà /big/

女 女 nǚ /female, woman/

子 子 zǐ /son, child/

寸 寸 cùn /inch/

小 小 xiǎo /small/

工 工 gōng /work, labor/

幺 幺 yāo /tiny; small/

弓 弓 gōng /a bow/

心 心 xīn /heart. Radical form is 忄/

戈 戈 gē /dagger-axe, halberd/

手 手 shǒu /hand. Radical form is 扌/

日 日 rì /sun/

月 月 yuè /moon/

木 木 mù /wood/

水 水 shuǐ /water. Radical form is氵/

火 火 huǒ /fire. Radical form is 灬/

田 田 tián /field/

目 目 mù /eye/

示 示 shì /to show. Radical form is 礻/

糸 糸 mì /fine silk/

耳 耳 ěr /ear/

衣 衣 yī /clothing. Radical form is 衤/

言 言 yán /speech/

貝 贝 bèi /cowry shell/

走 走 zǒu /to walk/

足 足 zú /foot/

金 金 jīn /gold; metal/

門 门 mén /door/

隹 隹 zhuī /short-tailed bird/

雨 雨 yǔ /rain/

食 食 shí /eat/

馬 马 mǎ /horse/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same list after being imported into zdt and then exported to a text file

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

力 力 lì /power, force, strength/

又 又 yòu /right hand; again/

口 口 kǒu /mouth/

囗 囗 wéi /enclose/

土 土 tǔ /earth/

夕 夕 xī /sunset, dusk/

大 大 dà /big/

女 女 nǚ /female, woman/

子 子 zǐ /son, child/

寸 寸 cùn /inch/

小 小 xiǎo /small/

工 工 gōng /work, labor/

幺 幺 yāo /tiny; small/

弓 弓 gōng /a bow/

戈 戈 gē /dagger-axe, halberd/

日 日 rì /sun/

月 月 yuè /moon/

木 木 mù /wood/

田 田 tián /field/

目 目 mù /eye/

糸 糸 mì /fine silk/

耳 耳 ěr /ear/

言 言 yán /speech/

貝 贝 bèi /cowry shell/

走 走 zǒu /to walk/

足 足 zú /foot/

金 金 jīn /gold; metal/

門 门 mén /door/

隹 隹 zhuī /short-tailed bird/

雨 雨 yǔ /rain/

食 食 shí /eat/

馬 马 mǎ /horse/

I already sent you a PM on the chinesepod forum but I'll respond here as well. Your list is using pinyin with tone marks which the ZDT doesn't currently support. You'll need to use pinyin with tone numbers instead. I've also made a change to get rid of most of the restrictions on the definition field. There should be an upcoming beta build ready tomorrow which will incorporate this fix.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

It looks like you added a lot of flexibility to the wordlist rules. I can now enter punctuated text strings in all but the pinyin field. I tried a single-entry test list below:

TraditionalSimplifiedPinyin/Definition/

請問,你住在哪?请问,你住在哪?Qing3wen4, ni3 zhu4 zai4 na3er5 /May I ask, where are you staying?/

And, here's the output of the four fields displayed in the word list pane:

請問你住在哪?

请问你住在哪?

wen4ni3zhu4zai4na3er5

May I ask, where are you staying?

As you can see, everything came out perfectly except the pinyin field was stripped of spacing and punctuation and the first syllable (Qing3) was chopped off. I was able to get ZDT to accept the first syllable by not capitalizing it. Would it be possible to add support for spacing and punctuation in the pinyin field as well? I can live without it but it would really be a nice to have.

Thanks!

If you check out the beta 3 build that I released today, it should fix the issue with the capitalization. I'm still not sure about allowing arbitrary punctuation in the pinyin field because it not clear to me yet if that would break things. But I will look into it. The spacing issue seems to be important to a lot of people, so I will look into it as well.

Chris